Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging in the rain & charging infrastructure (Electrify America)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 08:02 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Charging in the rain & charging infrastructure (Electrify America)

I'm starting a new thread, combining the essence of Charging in the rain & Charging Infrastructure (Electrify America)

No doubt there are many safety features re. EV charging in the rain and the possibility of electrocution is slim to none.

The bigger question: why are chargers invariably exposed to the elements? Most gas pumps are under a canopy. Why are electric charger customers second-class citizens?

Or is this Electrify America's way of thumbing their nose at electric charging in America? Electrify America (owned by VW) got the VW settlement money and they built the chargers. Are there are NO clauses that charges should be covered or reasonably protected from the elements?

I suggest we collectively contact Giovanni Palazzo, President & CEO of Electrify America, LLC. Maybe someone here can get us the email addresses for Giovanni Palazzo and Senior Director of Operations Anthony Lambkin?

Thank you.

Old 07-04-2022, 09:59 PM
2022992guy
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Charging Infrastructure

EA reliability is variable.

For example... yesterday tried charging at a EA station and had 3 incomplete attempts at charging. Used 3 different chargers at the same stop.

Taycan would charge 5 to 6 minutes and then stop due to a communication error.

One of those 4 attempts was highlighted by the EA station going blank but charging continued.

Charged at another EA station without a glitch today.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:28 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2022992guy
EA reliability is variable.

For example... yesterday tried charging at a EA station and had 3 incomplete attempts at charging. Used 3 different chargers at the same stop.

Taycan would charge 5 to 6 minutes and then stop due to a communication error.

One of those 4 attempts was highlighted by the EA station going blank but charging continued.

Charged at another EA station without a glitch today.
Last time I pulled up to a EA station, only one (of the six) worked. And that one throttled down 10kW from the 350kW. I was down to about 10% and didn't want the risk of driving the next 50 miles or so to the next station, middle of GA. And did I call EA? No. My fault. But subsequently I have. That too a hit or miss.

Bottom line, we should collectively contact EA. If someone can get the email address for the CEO

Old 07-05-2022, 07:16 PM
MingusDew
Burning Brakes

Received 1,058 Likes on 537 Posts

They’re incentivized/subsidized by the government to *build* new stations. They get zero incentive to maintain and repair, so it’s no surprise they put essentially zero effort into that. The $ is in getting those subsidies, not actually providing service to the end user. They’re just in it to make $, which is what capitalist corporations exist to do.
The following 2 users liked this post by MingusDew:
Dr. G7 (07-05-2022), Drifting (07-09-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 07:42 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 731 Likes on 406 Posts

The auto makers, except for Tesla, are building EVs that are designed to be charged at home - and that's it. Whatever infrastructure builds are taking place out there for non-Tesla cars, are eventually all going to fall into a state of disrepair.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:04 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MingusDew
They’re incentivized/subsidized by the government to *build* new stations. They get zero incentive to maintain and repair, so it’s no surprise they put essentially zero effort into that. The $ is in getting those subsidies, not actually providing service to the end user. They’re just in it to make $, which is what capitalist corporations exist to do.
Add to that customers who accept the lousy service. I did too, for a while.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:47 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MingusDew
The question is why do we allow the government to drive this deployment instead of the capital markets? The consequence is utter inefficiency as observed by every single thing the government touches.
The following 3 users liked this post by nycebo:
Lady Silver (07-10-2022), M3Inline6 (07-06-2022), skl (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 11:07 PM
jhenson29
Burning Brakes

Received 1,087 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
And that one throttled down 10kW from the 350kW.
…what? 10 from 350? Like 340? I hope that’s not what you mean.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:34 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhenson29
…what? 10 from 350? Like 340? I hope that’s not what you mean.
Yep. 10kW. From a 350kW. Tried two other chargers, third time was a charm.

Fortunately this place had more than three chargers working.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:51 PM
jhenson29
Burning Brakes

Received 1,087 Likes on 429 Posts

Yep. 10kW. From a 350kW. Tried two other chargers, third time was a charm.

Fortunately this place had more than three chargers working.
ok. It sounds like you meant down to 10.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:02 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

Last time I pulled up to a EA station, only one (of the six) worked. And that one throttled down 10kW from the 350kW. I was down to about 10% and didn't want the risk of driving the next 50 miles or so to the next station, middle of GA. And did I call EA? No. My fault. But subsequently I have. That too a hit or miss.

Bottom line, we should collectively contact EA. If someone can get the email address for the CEO

I did a recent presentation on EV chargers at a technical industry event. I learned and presented a few things:
1. They are supposed to be designed to avoid puddles where you step. This is mostly for perception, as they should be well grounded. However, defects and stray currents will be hazardous, so puddles should be avoided.
2. Charging speeds will be reduced if other cars are charging from the same electrical equipment. The local power equipment may only be able to supply a limited amount of power. If your car isn't limiting the power charge rate, then the charger is limiting the charge rate due to other circumstances.
3. The industry is all over the place on testing the final installations. Many installations do not test the affect of full load charging (all chargers delivering full load). So they don't really know if they work when all charges are in use. They will likely just provide an awful charge rate to all cars connected.
4. Testing all the low voltage functions (monitoring, payment systems, client communication) is also poor and the service is inconsistent.

Based on what I have learned, I have extremely diminished expectations on long distance electric travel.

Last edited by PJ Cayenne; 07-07-2022 at 11:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PJ Cayenne:
Drifting (07-09-2022), earl pottinger (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 09:20 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Recently read the EA was in talks to sell to Siemens, perhaps things may be better in the future.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:09 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Recently read the EA was in talks to sell to Siemens, perhaps things may be better in the future.
sell to Siemens is an overstatement - Siemens has/will take a minority interest in EA - not sure as to why - but that is what is happening.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/28/2...ns-ev-charging

VW sells minority stake in Electrify America to Siemens

Volkswagen sold a minority stake in its electric vehicle charging division, Electrify America, to Siemens in a deal that values the company at $2.45 billion. The two companies are jointly investing $450 million to double the number of Electrify America charging stations in the US and Canada by 2026. (The news was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.)
Old 07-08-2022, 12:13 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Question, I know Tesla plans to open it's chargers to non-Tesla cars in North America as they are already starting to do in Europe. Is there somewhere I can go to read about European experiences charging Taycans at the Tesla chargers there?

Earl Colby Pottinger (BEV fan)
Old 07-08-2022, 12:40 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

take a search on YouTube, I've seen some bloggers highlighting this.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+tesla+charger

Quick Reply: Charging in the rain & charging infrastructure (Electrify America)