Sponsored by:

Battery Warrenty Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 07:04 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Battery Warrenty Question

Question. Porsche battery warranty says it will warranty the battery will not go below 80% charge for 8 years or 100K. So if at 7.5 years it falls below this, will they replace the battery free of charge, or is it pro rated? Also, is this a new, or repurposed battery, or new ,and what is the warranty on the replacement ? Would like to see the specific Porsche language.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:30 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,753 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by newsboy
Question. Porsche battery warranty says it will warranty the battery will not go below 80% charge for 8 years or 100K. So if at 7.5 years it falls below this, will they replace the battery free of charge, or is it pro rated? Also, is this a new, or repurposed battery, or new ,and what is the warranty on the replacement ? Would like to see the specific Porsche language.
They will replace it. That being said, Porsche made the warranty numbers pretty easy to achieve. With the massive underrating of the Taycan’s advertised range, owners experiencing range 20-30% in excess of that stated range, I don’t expect Porsche to be replacing many batteries under warranty. They gave themselves a massive cushion.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
daveo4porsche (10-23-2022), Der-Schwabe (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 10:17 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

I think their battery tech allows for replacing just the bad cells too, not requiring a full replacement.
The following users liked this post:
Der-Schwabe (10-23-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 09:15 PM
droidfan
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
I think their battery tech allows for replacing just the bad cells too, not requiring a full replacement.
Yes very true. You would probably never ever change a full battery pack (only for exceptional cases).
Old 10-23-2022, 12:10 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
I can confirm this - and I can further confirm that the module level replacement can be done by local service centers (which surprised me) - they have diagnostics and the ability to lower the battery from teh vehicle, crack it open, and replace individual cell modules - they will do this to "restore" the stated battery performance vs. replacing the entire unit - my local service manger claims they have already done this at a San Jose area dealership - it's complexity is only medium level and there are several ICE procedures they perform in shop that are more complex than servicing an individual battery module.

this was a legit surprise to me personally - I knew Porsche could do this - but I thought they would take the tack of - replace the entire battery at local service shops, drop it, move it aside, lift the new one into place and boom done! send the "faulty" unit to regional tech center, regional tech center will do the "module" repair/replace, and then the newly refurbished battery will become a part for future service requests...

according to my data this is not the way Porsche is doing it - and yes they can service the battery with out replacing the whole thing, it is in fact being done, and it turns out it's really no big deal for any competent service shop

the real "trick" however is that after replacing the physical module you have to "retrain" the car and battery hardware/software about the new "setup" - this can only be done by a PWIS and apparently the reconfiguration procedure is a bit more dodgy than the physical battery work…taking as long or longer to make sure car knows about the new module and has adjusted capacities correctly.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Der-Schwabe (10-23-2022), Schnave (10-23-2022)

Quick Reply: Battery Warrenty Question