Sponsored by:

Installing Chargepoint Station Outside

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 09:58 PM
speed77
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Installing Chargepoint Station Outside

Hi all- just got a taycan turbo. Came with the chargepoint charger (something about 240 cable not available from Porsche yet??).

anyways- I want to have it installed outside the garage. I’m located in chicago so a bit concerned about weather conditions. Any advice or just get it installed and don’t sweat it?
Old 04-08-2024, 09:59 PM
speed77
Racer

Also, this car is awesome.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:23 PM
TC Cruising
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

The Chargepoint EVSe is well rated for outdoor use:
Per Chargeport and reported also by the highly related Tom M at “State of Charge”:

”Can I install ChargePoint Home Flex outdoors?

Yes, ChargePoint Home Flex is weatherproof and rated NEMA 3R for outdoor use. Use either a hardwired installation or a weatherproof NEMA receptacle for plug-in installation.”

True there are level 4 outdoor more-weatherproof chargers, but a level 3 would be perfect for now, and for the next six-months while you investigate and decide whether you need a level 4 one where you live.
The following users liked this post:
speed77 (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 11:40 AM
speed77
Racer

What’s the big difference between Level 4 or Level 3 outdoor rating? Winter months can get brutal for short periods. Not sure if that means the charger won’t work, be slower, or will actually freeze the connector. Newbie here
Old 04-09-2024, 12:06 PM
TC Cruising
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

This will explain it in great detail.

https://www.polycase.com/techtalk/ne...tdoor-use.html
Old 04-09-2024, 04:50 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 341 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by speed77
Hi all- just got a taycan turbo. Came with the chargepoint charger (something about 240 cable not available from Porsche yet??).

anyways- I want to have it installed outside the garage. I’m located in chicago so a bit concerned about weather conditions. Any advice or just get it installed and don’t sweat it?
I have a Chargepoint Flex and really like it, but given the extremes of weather here in the Midwest I’m glad it’s installed inside my garage instead of outside, regardless of it’s ‘rating’.

Is there a reason you prefer outside versus in?
Old 04-09-2024, 05:44 PM
speed77
Racer

I usually park my daily outside so figured it would be easier but just as easy to open the garage door, plug in and then close it from there
Old 04-10-2024, 10:08 AM
Zcd1
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I usually park my daily outside so figured it would be easier but just as easy to open the garage door, plug in and then close it from there
This is probably a better plan…
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 10:11 AM
speed77
Racer

Really appreciate the guidance here. Feel like a complete noob when it comes to the EVs. Appreciate rennlist helping out.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:02 PM
mdosu
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Zcd1
This is probably a better plan…
I installed my charger inside, but run the cord outside by programming the door to stop short. I "seal" the gap with a rubber strip that's used to hide cable cords. It's not ideal as the strip slides if kick it. but has worked on the last 2 years. You'll want to stop short as not to put pressure on the cord.

Another alternative is to drill a hole in the wall and run the cable and handle through. I've seen some homes in my neighborhood like that and have seen some clean examples
Old 04-10-2024, 05:53 PM
speed77
Racer

Originally Posted by mdosu
I installed my charger inside, but run the cord outside by programming the door to stop short. I "seal" the gap with a rubber strip that's used to hide cable cords. It's not ideal as the strip slides if kick it. but has worked on the last 2 years. You'll want to stop short as not to put pressure on the cord.

Another alternative is to drill a hole in the wall and run the cable and handle through. I've seen some homes in my neighborhood like that and have seen some clean examples
Yup that’s what we’re going to do- trying to get creative with a cabinet design so you can open and close it without looking like a giant hole in your garage. If you have any photos I’d love to see them.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:51 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 1,777 Posts

if it were me - I'd install the actual unit inside the garage as close as possible to garage door - most of these units have 20-30 foot cables - the cable itself is very water proof/weather resistant - from inside the cable should be able to reach cars in the driveway and inside the garage - and the core unit will be out of the elements - having he "cable" laying on the ground outside is no issue - and the main purpose of these units is to keep things from shorting out in water and weather...
Old 04-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Mine is mounted right inside the garage door, so when I charge I pull the car up, plug in, shut the door on the cable. The rubber Cushion on the bottom of the door keeps it from crushing the cable.

I'm paranoid about 80kw of lithium in my garage. Plus old cars get priority on garage space.

But the location lets me reach any car inside the garage or in the driveway.

Quick Reply: Installing Chargepoint Station Outside