Notices
The Rennlist Marketplace Porsche Vehicles & Parts For Sale
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 Porsche 911 Targa

For Sale

1986 Porsche 911

02-08-2023, 07:19 PM | Replies: 4 | Views: 2346
  • 1986 Porsche 911 - 1986 Porsche 911 Targa - Used - VIN WP0EB0918GS160959 - 109,000 Miles - 6 cyl - 2WD - Manual - Convertible - Red - Upper Freehold, NJ 08501, United States
    Sold
Instructor

• Price
    $49,500
    • OBO
  • Location Upper Freehold, NJ, 08501, USA
  • Condition Used
  • VIN WP0EB0918GS160959
  • Mileage 109,000
  • Engine 6 cyl
  • Drive Type 2WD
  • Transmission Manual
  • Vehicle Type Convertible
  • Exterior Color Red
Description:

Excellent condition, mostly original and well maintained 86 Targa, 4th owner, 109k miles. I purchased the car back in 2009 with 100k miles. Has been very reliable. Started in NJ (Schneider Nielsen). Full owner and service history from day 1 available, including maintenance book. PPI welcomed.

Since I’ve had the car (I do much of the work, but have all receipts for all work past and present):
-Replaced the brake pads and rotors (OEM), passenger front and driver rear calipers.
-Added Bilstein Sport struts and shocks
-Replaced trans oil with Swepco 201
-Battery replaced a year ago AGM
-New Bosch plugs, fuel and air filter
-Recent valve adjustment (inspected for head stud issues by Provost, nothing found)
-New distributor cap
-Oil and filter changed yearly
-New shifter bushing
-Rear oil line replaced
-Motor and transmission mounts replaced.
-Recently replaced the turn signal stalk switch as the high beams locked on (common issue)
-Replaced headlight switch and fused the instrument wiring.
-Tires replaced in 2016, still like new (all season). 
-Brake fluid bled every three years with ATE.
-New DME relay installed a few months ago.

Condition:
-No smoke on start up, fires up fast and cranks strong
-No leaks, just typical minor weeping at one valve cover, no drips  
-No rust
-Seats, dash and door cards all in excellent condition, no rips or tears, no sagging. Carpets all in great shape.
-Paint in excellent condition, just a couple of minor marks. Even paint chips on front hood are minimal.
-Targa top in excellent shape and have receipt for it being redone by Dan at Carsinc.
-Aftermarket speakers, amp and stereo w/Bluetooth (previous owner). Original not available.
-Garage kept, never driven in rain by me.  
-Transmission and clutch are in good shape. Second can be a little notchy at times, mainly on downshift, but not too bad, and you have to be close to being stopped for first, but no grinding. Behavior is common for these cars. It does not need a rebuild. Clutch is firm.
-AC does not work. I can fill it and it will blow cold, but it doesn’t last so probably needs a new dryer and/or has a leak…it’s a targa so I never had a need for AC and the top is never on three seasons of the year.

I had a minor accident in 2012 to passenger rear quarter panel and deck lid, window in repair by local German auto body shop. Some idiot was on their cell and and hit it. I have full documentation of the repairs. I drove it home, but the repair bill was large and had to go through insurance.  

It is very tough for me to sell this as it’s my only Porsche, but I have to fund other things, like college for my son. More pics or info available upon request, including related to the incident. Clean title in hand. I’ve had a lot of fun with it the past 14 years, but I just haven’t been driving it much in recent years so i think it’s time for someone else to enjoy it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kygu76yYfUucM44b6

$49,500.  Long time Schattenbaum PCA member and the pic below was taken at one of its winery concours events where it won its class.

Last edited by RL911; 03-27-2023 at 03:38 PM. Reply
Old 03-14-2023, 03:02 PM
BlackFriar90
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RL911
Excellent condition, mostly original and well maintained 86 Targa, 4th owner, 109k miles. I purchased the car back in 2009 with 100k miles. Has been very reliable. Started in NJ (Schneider Nielsen). Full owner and service history from day 1 available, including maintenance book. PPI welcomed.

Since I’ve had the car (I do much of the work, but have all receipts for all work past and present):
-Replaced the brake pads and rotors (OEM), passenger front and driver rear calipers.
-Added Bilstein Sport struts and shocks
-Replaced trans oil with Swepco 201
-Battery replaced a year ago AGM
-New Bosch plugs, fuel and air filter
-Recent valve adjustment (inspected for head stud issues by Provost, nothing found)
-New distributor cap
-Oil and filter changed yearly
-New shifter bushing
-Rear oil line replaced
-Motor and transmission mounts replaced.
-Recently replaced the turn signal stalk switch as the high beams locked on (common issue)
-Replaced headlight switch and fused the instrument wiring.
-Tires replaced in 2016, still like new (all season).
-Brake fluid bled every three years with ATE.
-New DME relay installed a few months ago.

Condition:
-No smoke on start up, fires up fast and cranks strong
-No leaks, just typical minor weeping at one valve cover, no drips
-No rust
-Seats, dash and door cards all in excellent condition, no rips or tears, no sagging. Carpets all in great shape.
-Paint in excellent condition, just a couple of minor marks. Even paint chips on front hood are minimal.
-Targa top in excellent shape and have receipt for it being redone by Dan at Carsinc.
-Aftermarket speakers, amp and stereo w/Bluetooth (previous owner). Original not available.
-Garage kept, never driven in rain by me.
-Transmission and clutch are in good shape. Second can be a little notchy at times, mainly on downshift, but not too bad, and you have to be close to being stopped for first, but no grinding. Behavior is common for these cars. It does not need a rebuild. Clutch is firm.
-AC does not work. I can fill it and it will blow cold, but it doesn’t last so probably needs a new dryer and/or has a leak…it’s a targa so I never had a need for AC and the top is never on three seasons of the year.

I had a minor accident in 2012 to passenger rear quarter panel and deck lid, window in repair by local German auto body shop. Some idiot was on their cell and and hit it. I have full documentation of the repairs. I drove it home, but the repair bill was large and had to go through insurance.

It is very tough for me to sell this as it’s my only Porsche, but I have to fund other things, like college for my son. More pics or info available upon request, including related to the incident. Clean title in hand. I’ve had a lot of fun with it the past 14 years, but I just haven’t been driving it much in recent years so i think it’s time for someone else to enjoy it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kygu76yYfUucM44b6

Wasn’t sure where to price this, I think the range is roughly $50-70k. Asking right in the middle at $59k, but I’m open to reasonable offers. Long time Schattenbaum PCA member and the pic below was taken at one of its winery concours events where it won its class.
Great looking car, I am in NJ and would like to see the car. I am new to rennlist and unsure how to reach out or coordinate.
Old 03-17-2023, 03:45 PM
RL911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a nice day today in NJ, 62 degrees, so I thought I’d take a short video of startup. My 911 had not been started in 29 days. Super nice unmolested 86 911.

The following users liked this post:
Fouraquest (04-02-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 11:23 AM
Fouraquest
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning. Is the car still available? What's the best way to contact you?
Old 04-02-2023, 02:44 PM
RL911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Car has been sold, picked up today.