Notices

What do you fill your trailer with for HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 10:51 PM
mjdcolo
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts
Default What do you fill your trailer with for HPDE?

I see drivers with enclosed trailers that have loads of room, cabinets, shelves, etc. What is actually needed to have an HPDE weekend? I drive my car to the track with a tote in the frunk right now. I want to get a trailer (I hate putting needless miles on the car), and have been debating with myself between open and enclosed. But for the life of me can’t think of why I would need cabinets, tools, etc. If I break something, I’m done. End of story. Pack it up and go home. Unless it’s something small. I could see that. But some guys have an entire garage in those things. Why? Can someone help explain? What am I missing?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-06-2019, 12:08 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

wow is that a great question and you asked it in the right place.

Most of us have started where you are at now

If you are never going to work on the car yourself i.e torque lug nuts add tire pressures, clean windshield, put on spare tires, review data or video on your computer then open trailer is fine.

The enclosed trailer allows you to get out of the sun or rain and again look at video and take a break.

Depending on the distance you pull your trailer and if you end up spending the night at a hotel, your tools and spares are secure or protected.

By the time you store your helmet and other safety gear that takes space. Tools and fluids take up space. Waters or other refreshments take up space.

It all adds up.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:19 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdcolo
What am I missing?

Thanks,
Matt
You are missing all of the things stujelly mentioned that you may need because of a lack of space. Reality is that if you are thinking about a trailer then you are shopping for a trailer but do not know it yet. Some start with an open trailer and stay with it because of tow vehicle/home parking restrictions, or they just travel light. Most will go to an enclosed trailer as soon as they can. What stays in the trailer are the things you don't need to think about when packing for a track day. How about doing a 2 or 3 day DE? Need bigger cooler, more ice, chair or chairs to sit on. And you will have "aw crap, forgot that" moments on 2-3 day DEs. With any trailer you will also have much more space in your tow vehicle for misc stuff.
Trailer is also there for you if for some reason your car becomes disabled by an off, or mechanical failure. $$$ for a flatbed to get your car home? Been there.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:41 PM
techno99
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An enclosed trailer also makes a nice garage for those of us out of garage space.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:56 PM
mjdcolo
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks stujelly and mussl kar. That helps to put a little perspective to it. Yes you can keep everything you need in it, but I will have to store my trailer offsite; at a storage spot, so i’m not sure I want to keep anything of value in it. I will have to go get it and load it up during the week before I leave for the DE weekend. An enclosed trailer would be nice to relax in between sessions, especially in the heat of the day (with AC of course ;o) when there is no where else to go inside. That is my biggest complaint. Would be nice to have extra fuel so that I don’t have tp pay for 100 or 110 octane at the track. You see that? I already know my answer. I just need to hear from someone else - kinda like consultants.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:12 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Every time something breaks on your car, or you need a tool, you add it to your trailer. Once you carry those items on your trailer you will never need them again.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:25 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Every time something breaks on your car, or you need a tool, you add it to your trailer. Once you carry those items on your trailer you will never need them again.
Truth indeed........
Old 08-08-2019, 01:53 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

usually you have to buy 2 of everything so when the guy next to you borrows it and never returns it, at least you have 1 left
Old 08-08-2019, 02:03 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I work on my own car and built the entire thing. Therefore I carry everything I can. an Enclosed Trailer is Great the way I have my tools sorted. I have a "Cart" that has every Tool that I need and special tools too.. At home it is right next to me under the lift so I don't have to keep walking over to my big box. I simply close the box and put it in the trailer and away I go.. I also have "Bins" that have misc hardware, screws, Extra fuel pump, Hoses bolts ect. Those bins stay in the trailer at all times, Even when home. Last week at the track a guy blew a Transmission, I had every tool onboard so he could change it. It is also Convenient to carry my Nitrogen Bottle, It is permanently Strapped down and I have a 50 Ft hose so it never leaves the trailer.
The Drawback? by the time all is loaded, the Trailer plus car and Gear is around 8000 to 9000 Lbs.. Makes for a Hard Pull if I have to go through Penn... Its also a pain to back up because you cant look "Over" it. When I wanted to Dyno the car I borrowed an open Trailer and there were times I forgot it was even back there it pulled effortlessly. I have the right vehicle to pull it with but you should take that into consideration. On the Other hand, the enclosed makes a GREAT storage shed for all the lawn furniture over the winter!
Old 08-08-2019, 10:40 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Thanks stujelly and mussl kar. That helps to put a little perspective to it. Yes you can keep everything you need in it, but I will have to store my trailer offsite; at a storage spot, so i’m not sure I want to keep anything of value in it. I will have to go get it and load it up during the week before I leave for the DE weekend. An enclosed trailer would be nice to relax in between sessions, especially in the heat of the day (with AC of course ;o) when there is no where else to go inside. That is my biggest complaint. Would be nice to have extra fuel so that I don’t have tp pay for 100 or 110 octane at the track. You see that? I already know my answer. I just need to hear from someone else - kinda like consultants.
I keep my trailer parked in a tight corner of my driveway. I keep a lot of stuff in it all the time. When a Track day or autocross comes up I sometimes do load my car the day before. Sometimes back it crazy angled so our other cars have full driveway access. Whatever works. Neighbors are family.q
Parking a trailer off site from home has a few different issues. Not mine. But if the off site makes you fear for some simple tools being stolen.....think again about that site.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:45 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Grey Goose... Lots of it... In all seriousness, I went with an open as others have mentioned due to tow vehicle. I'm using a Macan but have every intention of going enclosed ASAP just to alleviate having to load and unload everything...
Old 08-09-2019, 11:41 PM
basil2000
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have an open with a tire rack. Works great for me. I also have a suburban as a tow vehicle so i have space to throw things like a jack and a tool box. My car is new so right now only thing i need to bring to the track is extra wheel set, brake pads, small tool box and jack. When my kids move out and i have more time I’m sure i will move up to an enclosed. Also i store my trailer in my back yard so it is easy to hide.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:39 AM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see drivers with enclosed trailers that have loads of room, cabinets, shelves, etc. What is actually needed to have an HPDE weekend? I drive my car to the track with a tote in the frunk right now. I want to get a trailer (I hate putting needless miles on the car), and have been debating with myself between open and enclosed. But for the life of me can’t think of why I would need cabinets, tools, etc. If I break something, I’m done. End of story. Pack it up and go home. Unless it’s something small. I could see that. But some guys have an entire garage in those things. Why? Can someone help explain? What am I missing?

Thanks,
Matt
HPDE = Helmet, cooler (drinks and snacks), chair, shade, tire gauge . . .
Why mess with a trailer ?? We took a pick up along to carry our chairs and cooler . . .

Time Trials = same as HPDE with spare tire set and some tools . . .
Maybe an open trailer if you have a tow vehicle . . . ??

Race Car = Enclosed trailer, 3/4 ton truck or better, fill with tools, fuel, oil, air compressor, shade, chairs, cooler, generator/power source, 2 sets of extra wheels and tires including rains, brake pads/rotors/fluid, computer, video download/viewing equipment, race safety gear, cool shirt equipment, spare parts that break/fail - - and everything else you forgot the time before- - there are many check lists around on the Forums . . .

Conclusion = HPDE don't really need a bunch of stuff - go and drive and enjoy and learn . . .

Wish you the best in your track adventures,
Regards,

Roy T (crew chief for son's race car 11 years . . .)
Old 08-10-2019, 10:26 AM
wake74
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Started with a tire trailer - Worked great. But then pulled the AC, carpet, installed seats, etc etc. That's no fun to drive back from the track
Bought an open trailer - This tows easy, but damn VIR is hot in the summer
Bought an enclosed trailer - Installed AC, insulated, etc to sleep in the trailer. Just think of the "money that saves" :-)
Now I can use the trailer as a storage bay - Bought a TR6 to restore to fill the empty bay

It's a slippery slippery slope...............
Old 08-14-2019, 02:56 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

I was driving an m3 with no ac, radio, harsh suspension, very loud exhaust to the track. Blaring down the highway with the windows down to get some airflow got old very quickly. I started with an open trailer. With the open trailer, I was able to cram a second set of wheels/tires, light tools, lightweight aluminum jack and stands, spare fluids, two fuel jugs and an overnight bag into my cayenne. Worked well for a few years. Now I am endurance racing with my friends and we need to plan for everything so I bought an enclosed trailer. We bring all sorts of tools, 8 spare wheels/tires, more fuel jugs, canopy, tables, two jacks, jack stands, racing gear for 3-4 guys, spare transmission, bearings, brakes, more fluids...that would have been very difficult with the open trailer.

If I were you, and just driving a street 911 on the track, I wouldn't bother with any of it. Once you get addicted and buy a race car, then it's time to go down the rabbit hole.

Quick Reply: What do you fill your trailer with for HPDE?