Notices

Cayenne towing a 20' enclosed featherlight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 12:23 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cayenne towing a 20' enclosed featherlight?

WHAT HAVE YOU TOWED WITH A CAYENNE?
Im considering a 20 ft enclosed featherlite trailer but want a smooth comfortable tow? Your thoughts?
I was originally only considering a Trailex, should I consider other aluminum trailers?

TIA

Scott
Old 08-06-2020, 01:15 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by sleder
Im considering a 20 ft enclosed featherlite trailer but want a smooth comfortable tow? Your thoughts?
I was originally only considering a Trailex, should I consider other aluminum trailers?

TIA

Scott
I just did similar research and just bought a new 20’ Featherlite 4926 after finding a great deal. I really like it! I’m towing with another mid-size SUV, a Range Rover Sport HSE. It’s a diesel on air suspension and is probably overall fairly similar to towing with a Cayenne (as opposed to a pickup or RV). I wanted to go big enough to be useful but not more than needed

When doing research I found Trailex and then Montrose as ultra-lightweight enclosed trailer options. Both are smaller and/or lower trailers than typical so it might be a bit cramped. The Trailex is really nice but very short - I couldn’t stand up in one. Montrose is kind of like a fiberglass box enclosing an open trailer. Cool idea and again super light but not easy to carry tools or tires in. Futura does a canvas or fabric type of enclosure for their drop deck trailers, but I wanted a rigid enclosure.

If you prefer a standard enclosed aluminum trailer, ATC, Intech, and a Featherlite are all good names I kept hearing again and again. Intech trailers are very nice but are often quite heavy because they’re well equipped.

You might also evaluate just going with a short length standard trailer like 8.5x16’ instead of one of the ultralightweight options because you’re making similar compromises on usability (can be cramped and/or hard to carry along gear). Since there’s less material they can be relatively inexpensive as a bonus. That said, I like the 20’ length as it gives room to comfortably walk around the car and bring along tires and basic tools.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:26 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you for your response. Difference is youve got air suspension, I dont which is a concern. I had a Trailex that I sold when I sold my SPB and have regretted since, I'm thinking about the height of a full size and all that does is add weight and drag that I really dont want to pull. I think Ive sold myself on the trailex. Im pulling a 914/6 race car with extra tires and some tools.
So now without air suspension how does the cayenne sit and tow?
Old 08-06-2020, 03:54 PM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I tow a trailex enclosed trailer with a cayenne diesel, no air suspension. Does totally fine. I liked it so much I have two of them now.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:16 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by sleder

TIA

Scott
Getting right to the point, the smoothest, comfortable tow is the Trailex. It is light, about 700 lbs., o you can muscle it around your driveway (empty), and easy to load, unload.

Your car will like towing the lowest possible weight. If you get a Featherlite 20', you give your car an incremental 2,000 lbs to tow. This equates to potentially compromised braking, and for certain, reduced gas mileage. Towing up long hills, steep hills, you want the lightest load possible.

A 20' Featherlite has to be at least 2,700 Lbs, dry. Add an extra set of tires/wheels 200 Lbs., add in 100 Lbs of tools and misc stuff, now you have a 3,000 Lb load before the car is loaded....3,000 + X = total weight you are towing. If the mfg states you can tow the X load, you can. They may specify a load distribution hitch.

I have in a 5.7 liter Tundra, 370 HP...it's OK, gets the job done. Would I rather have a 2500 series Ford or Dodge? Sure...but then there is the incremental cost to go up to 2500 diesel.

The Trailex Open is a peach, comes with long ramps, you may not need any auxiliary ramps. It is light and tows like a dream.,..but, it's an open trailer. An Open may also be inconspicuously parked on one's property. Not the case with an enclosed. I pay $200+ a month to store my trailer.

If towing with a Cayenne, pay close attention to the maximum tow loads recommended.

In closing, I have had almost every combination of trailers since 2006, Haulmark 20' enclosed, Featherlite open, Trailex open, ATC 20' enclosed, Futura Open and now back to an ATC 20' enclosed. The ATC is 300 Lbs heaver than the Featherlite, BUT it is insulated, and the build is awesome and comes with a side escape door. In and out of the car is so easy! This is my last trailer......

Last edited by Martin S.; 08-06-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:02 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

back to strictly looking for a trailex. anyone know of one for sale?
Old 08-07-2020, 10:07 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

The car is only 2200lbs the cayenne tow capacity s 7700. I can t use an open car has no side windows and I never want everyone to see whats in the trailer. No air suspension tells me I can do the featherlite or even the ATC but my answer is enclosed trailex, stay with the original plan.- now to find one.
Thank you all for your experience and assistance.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:05 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

One thing to aware of is the shorter wheelbase of the Cayenne. It may not be an issue with a 20' trailer but I had issues with my Range Rover towing my 24' enclosed Featherlite. At times it felt like the trailer was driving the RR, especially in crosswinds and when passing semi's. Switched to a Mercedes GL diesel and have never had any issues. If possible. try to test tow the trailer with your vehicle before you buy.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:16 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Last_935 Thats why I am sticking to the trailex enclosed. But finding a used one is nearly non existent
Old 08-08-2020, 10:28 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 266 Posts

OP, don’t forget about sorting out trailer brakes as well and being able to control them.
can you add air bags on the rear of your Cayenne?
Good luck.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:44 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

Towed a 20 foot Featherlite with RR Sport for years. You should be fine with the Cayenne. The air suspension was magical on the RR as it balanced the vehicle when tongue weight was applied. While you cannot load up the tongue with more than 10% of the total trailer weight, the air suspension compensated and reduced sway. I found the RR towed far better than the half ton trucks I rented and that included F150s, Chevys and a Dodge Ram. The downside of this setup is you have to stop for fuel quite often and it does result in premature wear of the transmission and diff. They simply are not made for this type of work if you tow a lot. Keep in mind the loading process before buying a Trailex. While they are great trailers they have long ramps that are a PITA. I hated my open trailex. With the featherlite and 5 foot ramps mounted to the rear door you can load a lot of cars with minimal hassle. If your car is low a set of race ramps works well. About half the time of the trailex and saves your back!
Old 08-11-2020, 09:53 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

If you manage your tongue weight, you will be fine without air suspension. I'd look at other trailers than Trailex.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:17 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

I've heard conflicting statements about WDH and Cayenne air suspension. Is anyone using a WDH WITH air suspension?
Suggestions thoughts? My trailer can take a WDH, but I have read all sorts of conflicting info about using WDH with a Cayenne Mit air

FWIW: I am towing max 6K on 20 foot frame (trailer, car and misc crap)

Last edited by dan212; 04-13-2021 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:26 PM
rastta
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

20ft. Featherlite. Audi Q7 TDI. Been towing it for 4 years or so. Not a problem. Inside of trailer has been modified to the usual cabinets, cooler, etc.

Old 04-19-2021, 04:27 PM
rastta
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I've heard conflicting statements about WDH and Cayenne air suspension. Is anyone using a WDH WITH air suspension?
Suggestions thoughts? My trailer can take a WDH, but I have read all sorts of conflicting info about using WDH with a Cayenne Mit air
FWIW: I am towing max 6K on 20 foot frame (trailer, car and misc crap)
I have the air suspension on our Q7 - same as Cayenne. No WDH. Never felt I needed it.
The following users liked this post:
dan212 (04-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Cayenne towing a 20' enclosed featherlight?