Notices

Advice on my WDH setup - Ground clearance issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 03:29 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 624 Posts
Default Advice on my WDH setup - Ground clearance issues

Here's a photo of my WDH setup. The trailer is a 2019 Haulmark 24' EdgeALX. Tow vehicle is an F-250 Diesel at stock height.

Running an Equalizer 12k WDH.

The issue I have is the ground clearance at the hitch drop necessary to keep the trailer level so it won't drag in the back.. With the additional drop required for the WDH coupling. I have minimal clearance and the hitch bottom drags when driving in and out of parking lots, dips, etc.

I basically ignored it but this past summer I drug it hard enough to bend the receiver pin in one occasion.

Any solution you guy can think of? I can't raise it up any more otherwise I'll drag the back of the trailer. At this point I'm thinking about going without a WDH and trying a WeighSafe hitch and installing Airbags on the truck. Is there such a thing as a lower profile WDH? Everything I have seen online looks like it would not work.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2021, 06:58 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

That does not look right. What is the height of your coupler? How high is the bottom of the trailer frame when the trailer is level?
Old 10-03-2021, 08:07 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linzman
That does not look right. What is the height of your coupler? How high is the bottom of the trailer frame when the trailer is level?
It is correctly setup. Everything measured per Equalizer's instructions. The trailer is perfectly level with front/rear measurements. Issue is how low the trailer tongue is by design and how close to the ground that puts the WDH drop hitch to the ground.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:44 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

It there room to raised the actual receiver socket?

Is it possible to move the sway bars to the top of the trailer surface?

Has the manufacturer of the wdh given advice? surely this isn’t the first ford truck and trailer combo they have put together.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:22 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nickshu
It is correctly setup. Everything measured per Equalizer's instructions. The trailer is perfectly level with front/rear measurements. Issue is how low the trailer tongue is by design and how close to the ground that puts the WDH drop hitch to the ground.
I didn't mean it wasn't set up correctly. Your trailer just looks really low, like it would bottom out on many driveways/inclines even without the Equalizer. That's why I asked for the measurements. I have an equalizer, and it's nowhere close to as low as yours, but like I said, it's the trailer, not the equalizer, that's abnormally low and causing problems in this setup
Old 10-03-2021, 10:25 PM
cienegavista
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Default rear wheels

You could have some steel wheels mounted at the rear of the trailer, no scrape then. You could raise up the front of the trailer a tad bit and see how it works.
mc
Old 10-03-2021, 10:31 PM
cienegavista
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Default trailer wheels

The following users liked this post:
s996 (10-03-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 02:03 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,327 Likes on 807 Posts

1) Something about the way the tongue is attached looks funny to me.
2) Does the trailer have 15" or 16" wheels? Might up the tire size to raise the trailer a bit.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:53 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by linzman
I didn't mean it wasn't set up correctly. Your trailer just looks really low, like it would bottom out on many driveways/inclines even without the Equalizer. That's why I asked for the measurements. I have an equalizer, and it's nowhere close to as low as yours, but like I said, it's the trailer, not the equalizer, that's abnormally low and causing problems in this setup
Yeah my next step I think is adding Airbags on the truck. I think I can raise the rear about 1-2" when loaded with bags (back to unloaded height). With the design of the tongue on the trailer I am at the maximum weight distribution I can get with the hitch. I cannot raise the brackets on the tongue any further as the the arms of the WDH will hit the corners of big plate on the tongue where the hitch is bolted to. Raising the rear of the truck would get me another inch or so of ground clearance without significantly lowering the rear of the trailer.

Originally Posted by cienegavista
Rollers
Yes my trailer has Bogey wheels on it already and even at level height it does roll on them going up driveways/etc. I have jacks at the corners of the trailer too and they drag like a snowmobile ski sometimes as well depending on the angle as the bogey wheels are not much lower than they are.

Originally Posted by ExMB
1) Something about the way the tongue is attached looks funny to me.
2) Does the trailer have 15" or 16" wheels? Might up the tire size to raise the trailer a bit.
1.) In what way? As far as I can tell it's installed correctly per Equalizer's recommendations.
2.) I think 16" wheels already with torsion axles. I suppose I could put a lift on it, but then I'd need longer race ramps. Compromises I guess.

Last edited by Nickshu; 10-04-2021 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:08 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Have to be honest. I don't think I've ever seen a trailer that low. As far as the jacks on the back, a local to me guy put mine on and they completely fold up inside the frame when not in use. Pretty slick.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:07 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,327 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
1.) In what way? As far as I can tell it's installed correctly per Equalizer's recommendations.
2.) I think 16" wheels already with torsion axles. I suppose I could put a lift on it, but then I'd need longer race ramps. Compromises I guess.
Nothing to do with your WDH. I'm talking about the tongue receiver being mounted to the front of the tongue a-frame. I've got a similar WDH (different manufacturer - knock off) and on my trailer the portion where the ball fits into is mounted on top of that tongue. Also seems from a picture search that your trailer has/had 2 different ways of that particular mount.

I agree that with others that the trailer seems to sit low. You indicated you think 16";. How hard is that to verify?
Old 10-04-2021, 06:28 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

what is the distance btw the ground and the bottom of the tongue frame?
Old 10-04-2021, 06:40 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Nothing to do with your WDH. I'm talking about the tongue receiver being mounted to the front of the tongue a-frame. I've got a similar WDH (different manufacturer - knock off) and on my trailer the portion where the ball fits into is mounted on top of that tongue. Also seems from a picture search that your trailer has/had 2 different ways of that particular mount.

I agree that with others that the trailer seems to sit low. You indicated you think 16";. How hard is that to verify?
I see what you are saying. Yes the tongue receiver is a flat plate mount and has 3 positions. It is mounted in the center position. I looked at mounting it up on the top position, then moving the drop hitch up a hole or two but then the WD arms hit the corners of the flat plate.

Just checked my trailer build sheet says 15" wheels. Trailer is 3 miles away in my storage garage I will confirm this week.

Yes the trailer sits low. Measuring each end when level is about 11" off the ground. I saw another similar trailer recently that was similar height but the tongue was offset upwards on the front of the trailer by about 10-12" probably for this exact reason. Too bad Haulmark didn't think of this.
Old 10-06-2021, 03:13 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

just a data point for you. My ATC raven is 22" to the bottom of the hitch on the trailer and I have no issues scrapping the bottom of the hitch on anything but the most severe inclines. Even then, the rear tends to scrape first.

its 15" to the bottom of the frame rail on the ATC, 8" wide frame rail and the hitch sits on top, thus 22".
Old 10-06-2021, 05:42 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Have a plate made that will bolt on to your trailer but which will reposition the level of the trailer tongue receiver. I'd have it made so that you are using the highest attachment points for the leveling bars.

Quick Reply: Advice on my WDH setup - Ground clearance issues