Notices

New Timpte trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 02:11 AM
Seedster
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by got2go
The limiting width for me is the width at the narrowest point at the ramp. The deck taper creates about a four inch tall side lip at the drive on point that is 78 inches in width between the vertical lips on the 718 and 720. On the 1020 it is 75 inches and too narrow for my 992 GT3 running -2.5 degrees of camber front and rear. So while there may be 81 inches of deck width measured between the swing arms (Timpte’s term for the structure that the fenders bolt to) on the 7 series trailers, you need to make sure that you can get it on the trailer.
Appreciate the color here. I want to make sure I'm reading this right that the 718/720 have a wider useable deck than the 1018/1020 (78" vs 75", respectively)? Seems counter intuitive but if that's the case, I'm definitely going to snag a 7xx instead of the 10xx.
Old 09-21-2022, 12:14 PM
Crash427
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 5200lb axles restrict the width of the deck, but they're apparently looking for a solution.
The following users liked this post:
Seedster (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 12:38 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

A quick update on one thing folks should be aware of.

The battery charging via solar is, well, not great. Also charging via the 7 pin is, as you might imagine very slow. I am not sure the wattage of each, but it's not enough/reasonable.

What happens is you load up and use the lift, then you expect solar and 7 pin will charge as you go to your destination. You lower, and when you go to lift, no bueno. Then you use jumper cables from your truck to recharge the battery. This makes you sad.

I will be plugging my trailer in, just like my car(s) on Victron battery chargers (https://www.victronenergy.com/charge...t-ip65-charger). I also need to install the battery monitor I bought for it.
Old 09-21-2022, 12:56 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Crash427
We're considering becoming a dealer for Timpte and actually have a call with them here shortly. We try to offer a wide range of car trailers as we're car guys ourselves. Since some of you have had one for a bit now, what feedback would you offer?
Mine is a 720 with winch lift (gen1).

Pros:
- Awesome quality. Aluminum, wiring, etc.
- Lightweight
- Mechanism works, the deck gets low enough for my Cup.
- Very nice trailer. Just love it overall. Glad I got it.

Suggestions:
- I put 15" Goodyear tires on, and this required new wheels. But that's just me..I am a dork for trailer tire safety and only really trust GY or Maxxis.
- The battery charging is horrible. They really can't fix it with the puny 7pin power. They could offer a more serious solar panel tho.
- Battery meter. So when I lower it, I know I have enough juice to raise it again. Maybe a simple table showing battery voltage to lifting capability.
- Squeeeeks when operating. Would like to see synthetic line option.
- More cutouts in the rail for l-track fittings. Such a nice option, I just need more positions. Yes, I can drill these myself, but I would like to see the entire side with holes for l-track.
- Fasten the license plate and stake pockets and wind/bug screen on with screws not rivets so I can replace, reconfigure as needed.

Last edited by kgorman; 09-21-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:06 PM
Crash427
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
Mine is a 720 with winch lift (gen1).

Pros:
- Awesome quality. Aluminum, wiring, etc.
- Lightweight
- Mechanism works, the deck gets low enough for my Cup.
- Very nice trailer. Just love it overall. Glad I got it.

Suggestions:
- I put 15" Goodyear tires on, and this required new wheels. But that's just me..I am a dork for trailer tire safety and only really trust GY or Maxxis.
- The battery charging is horrible. They really can't fix it with the puny 7pin power. They could offer a more serious solar panel tho.
- Battery meter. So when I lower it, I know I have enough juice to raise it again. Maybe a simple table showing battery voltage to lifting capability.
- Squeeeeks when operating. Would like to see synthetic line option.
- More cutouts in the rail for l-track fittings. Such a nice option, I just need more positions. Yes, I can drill these myself, but I would like to see the entire side with holes for l-track.
- Fasten the license plate and stake pockets and wind/bug screen on with screws not rivets so I can replace, reconfigure as needed.
They are moving away from the pulley style trailer so the squeaks should be gone. They're moving to a hydraulic setup. I'm not sure which rock guard you have, but the new one seems a little different than the first ones as well. I wish all my customers were dorks for trailer safety like you.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:30 AM
Clarice921
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I need to familiarize myself with the models, and recently I searched for one excavator and picked it up last month, and chose the excavator rental option after my friend informed me about the rental option. I like my model and structure of mine.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:38 AM
jkg2101
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the futura super sport and am impressed with how well the trailer lowers, so that clearnce for approach with my low-clearance car is not a problem. not sure if timpte provides the same clearance/drop down angle. the futura lowers the rear but then continues lowering, so the front lowers a bit too. hard to explain. timpte might be same or ? different
i am looking to sell my futura super sport, which i love, to get their enclosed, if anyone is interested in getting a great deal on a like new trailer in the northeast.
i do admit that the solar panel recharging may not be perfect on the futura also, although it has not caused any trouble for me so far...
justin
Old 03-16-2023, 02:16 AM
Mattl33
AutoX

Originally Posted by kgorman
A few other random thoughts.

- we had to adjust the jack, but it’s easy, it rides on a channel where we loosen the bolts and adjust as needed. Very nice.
- the safety chains aren’t very long. Will need to customize.
- the recovery winch is bolted to the channel that runs the width of the front and both sides allowing for customized placement (as long as the cable reaches and there is a lot extra)
- build quality is nice.
- the wheels are too fancy for me. Anyone want to trade for some steelies?
- the remote works from about 10’ away to lower/raise. It squeaks as it raises, I suspect things need grease under there.
- I will do a test load and see where the tongue weight sweet spot is. I suspect pretty far forward.
- i need to replace the recovery winch line with synthetic. Maybe do the lift/lower winch at some point?
- complete trailers of Texas (in CO and CA too) was a joy to work with and have stock!

Now that you have had the gen 1 trailer for a while how do you feel about it? I am looking at picking up a gen 1 2022 718 this weekend but can’t find enough reviews any insight pros and cons would be great.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:17 PM
Mattl33
AutoX

Originally Posted by b16gsr
@Hex I have the 720 with the below options.

MSRP for all items:
Trailer $12,230.00
Freight $395.00
Lockable Tire Rack $1,295.00
Rock Guard $610.00
Recovery Winch $550.00
Spare Tire $180.00
Spare Tire Mount $80.00

I paid $12,930 out the door.
I paid about the exact same last week for a Gen 1.
Old 06-13-2023, 10:07 PM
achenator
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jkg2101
I have the futura super sport and am impressed with how well the trailer lowers, so that clearnce for approach with my low-clearance car is not a problem. not sure if timpte provides the same clearance/drop down angle. the futura lowers the rear but then continues lowering, so the front lowers a bit too. hard to explain. timpte might be same or ? different
i am looking to sell my futura super sport, which i love, to get their enclosed, if anyone is interested in getting a great deal on a like new trailer in the northeast.
i do admit that the solar panel recharging may not be perfect on the futura also, although it has not caused any trouble for me so far...
justin
I also have found that my futura will go up and down many times with no battery problems. I do take it out and put it on a trickle charger if it's gonna be for a few months. I remember someone saying that they have gone dozens of cycles on a charge.
Old 07-12-2023, 01:23 PM
Vignesdd
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 17 Posts

looking at the same model now... Any feedback after owning that trailer for 9 months?
Appreciated!!!
Old 07-12-2023, 01:28 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vignesdd
looking at the same model now... Any feedback after owning that trailer for 9 months?
Appreciated!!!
* The approach angle isn't shallow enough for a 997.1 GT3, I scrape the front lip every time I put the 997 on the trailer. It's not bad but it's not great either. Our 996 goes on no problem.
* The original trailers had riveted brackets for the rear tail lights and license plate mount. Mine just vibrated off after a while. I had to rig up a home-brew fix which isn't pretty or elegant. I understand they've re-designed this part in the newer trailers, but no retrofit is available.
* As far as I know, Timpte never delivered a front tire rack solution which I was hoping to see. If I decide to add one I think I'm on my own for finding a solution and getting it mounted. It's been months since I talked to the dealer though, and this may have changed.

Otherwise I've been mostly happy with it. It's definitely been a nicer trailer than the Featherlite it replaced, but I don't know if I'd buy another one if I were shopping today.
The following users liked this post:
Vignesdd (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 02:16 PM
Mattl33
AutoX

Originally Posted by Nugget
* The approach angle isn't shallow enough for a 997.1 GT3, I scrape the front lip every time I put the 997 on the trailer. It's not bad but it's not great either. Our 996 goes on no problem.
* The original trailers had riveted brackets for the rear tail lights and license plate mount. Mine just vibrated off after a while. I had to rig up a home-brew fix which isn't pretty or elegant. I understand they've re-designed this part in the newer trailers, but no retrofit is available.
* As far as I know, Timpte never delivered a front tire rack solution which I was hoping to see. If I decide to add one I think I'm on my own for finding a solution and getting it mounted. It's been months since I talked to the dealer though, and this may have changed.

Otherwise I've been mostly happy with it. It's definitely been a nicer trailer than the Featherlite it replaced, but I don't know if I'd buy another one if I were shopping today.
They do offer a front tire rack solution integrated into the airdam.
Old 07-12-2023, 03:16 PM
Mattl33
AutoX

new addition
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2023, 05:05 PM
Tankohilery
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's great to hear about your new Timpte trailer. Sounds like it's got all the features you were looking for, especially the deck lowering concept similar to Futura. It's always a bit nerve-wracking when dealing with overseas options, so going with a local choice like Timpte makes a lot of sense.I was just wondering how things have been working out with the trailer? And speaking of vehicles and equipment, if you ever need to complement that setup, I stumbled upon truckexporter.co.uk. They've got a range of used trucks, which could be handy for expanding your fleet.

Quick Reply: New Timpte trailer