Notices

Recommended Battery: AGM, Marine, Automotive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 04:43 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Recommended Battery: AGM, Marine, Automotive?

What type of battery should I use for a Trailex enclosed trailer? The trailer has a winch stand but no winch or battery. Trailex usually installs an Interstate wet cell marine battery.

I will be installing a winch that recommends a 650CCA battery.

Also, I would like to set up a solar trickle charger. Will they work with all kinds of batteries?

Recommendations on solar chargers would be welcome.

Thanks for suggestions and experiences.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:25 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 283 Posts

Screw the solar trickle charger and add some more watts on the roof. I have 600+ watts on the roof with 3) 100mah batts in the pit., charge controller, and more. Something really nice with a big 12/120 volt chest fridge that can keep your beer(sorry, food) chilled all night after you put a hot car inside at days end. Yes, even in July and August.
Solar trickle chargers may work on many battery types and should also have modes for those batteries. I have a small solar trickle charger type setup. Never used it. Kicking around somewhere. My trailer setup powers the winch, landing gear, chest fridge. And on a hot sunny day runs 2 oscillating fans in the trailer.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:50 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I put a small maybe 1' x 2' panel on the roof. It keeps my battery topped off just fine. Most panels come with a charge controller, but many of the cheap Chinese ones are labeled incorrectly as far as +/- on the wiring, so keep that in mind when installing and check with a meter.
Old 04-10-2022, 11:50 AM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We use an Autozone Marine battery . . . 110v trickle charger between events . . . runs wench and electric trailer jack . . . replace every 3 years . . . low cost and gets the job done . . .
We also use a lawn tractor battery in the race car . . . ha ha . . .
Regards,
Roy T
The following users liked this post:
Manda Racing (04-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Recommended Battery: AGM, Marine, Automotive?