Notices

Class 8 tow rig

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 09:59 AM
twk63
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Class 8 tow rig

I am exploring options for a new tow rig, requirements are the ability to tow at least two, ideally three, cars at a time. I had been going down the path of a new diesel dually truck with a long gooseneck trailer but lately I have been exploring picking up a used semi tractor/trailer set up as there are several on the market right now at a much lower initial cost than what I had originally been planning.

Does anyone out there currently use a semi race rig? I am interested in operating costs, maintenance schedules, and other issues a new owner should be aware of? Any hassles with law enforcement around being considered commercial? I am planning to get a non-commercial Class A license for the rig and not have any markings other than "Not for Hire" on the rig but I've heard of people being pulled over as being a commercial. I'd rather not have to go down the CDL route if I don't have to,

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2022, 12:09 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by twk63
I am exploring options for a new tow rig, requirements are the ability to tow at least two, ideally three, cars at a time. I had been going down the path of a new diesel dually truck with a long gooseneck trailer but lately I have been exploring picking up a used semi tractor/trailer set up as there are several on the market right now at a much lower initial cost than what I had originally been planning.

Does anyone out there currently use a semi race rig? I am interested in operating costs, maintenance schedules, and other issues a new owner should be aware of? Any hassles with law enforcement around being considered commercial? I am planning to get a non-commercial Class A license for the rig and not have any markings other than "Not for Hire" on the rig but I've heard of people being pulled over as being a commercial. I'd rather not have to go down the CDL route if I don't have to,

Thanks!
PA has (as you probably know) a non commercial class A license that should make you good to go as far as legality. When I got my PA noncommercial class B the examiner told me I was good to go in all 50 states. Finding someone to go to the test with me (someone with at least the class B I was testing for and available on a Tuesday at 10:45) was the hardest part of the process. Getting the permit is easy, go to any driver's license center and ask for one. You'll need to have the permit for X days before you can take the road test. When I went through the process there was VERY little to no information about what I actually needed to know; fortunately I already knew how to do the air brake test process or I would have failed.

Will having that keep law enforcement from hassling you? Dunno, motorhomes and a commercial looking tractor aren't the same animal.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:31 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Standard class d licsense olny because DE does not have a noncommercial overweiht so im legal in all 50 because its titled as an rv. Big penalties if i try to use it for commercial.

I built it and do all the maintenance so its affordable. I get 6mpg empty or at 50k lbs. Oh and it will pull any trailer u want it to.

The following 4 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
Kein_Ersatz (06-11-2022), Lemming (06-18-2022), markmark26 (06-20-2022), wab_jr (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 11:44 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Does anyone out there currently use a semi race rig? I am interested in operating costs, maintenance schedules, and other issues a new owner should be aware of? Any hassles with law enforcement around being considered commercial? I am planning to get a non-commercial Class A license for the rig and not have any markings other than "Not for Hire" on the rig but I've heard of people being pulled over as being a commercial. I'd rather not have to go down the CDL route if I don't have to,!
I've got a 2007 Volvo VNL 780 that we use to haul a 3 car stacker since 2016:

In MA, we have registered it as a Camper/Motorhome, so no need for a CDL. This site lists some of the different state requirements for license and registration: http://www.hhrvresource.com/
In terms of reliability and maintenance costs, we've had good luck. We bought it with 723k and are now at 760k. The biggest operating cost for the truck has been replacing tires (4 drive and 2 steer so far). Maintenance-wise, we've had some issues with the EGR system, replaced the turbo and had a problem with the Auto-shift transmission that required some parts. In the 6+ years, we've never been stranded by it. The truck has great pulling power, and excellent brakes (both axle and engine). The high-up visibility makes it easy to see far ahead. The truck is a little louder than typical pickups.

I've not had any law enforcement issues. I have been pulled over for 'running' weigh stations in NH and NY, but none of those resulted in any problems (though I may stop for truck inspections in rest areas in NY in the future, given I've had issues there twice). I'm in the Northeast, and have traveled to Tremblant and Mosport in Canada, and as far south as VIR and out to Mid-Ohio.

There are a number of FB groups for people that use these trucks to haul large RV 5th wheels, and they're great resources. Let me know if you'd like links to them.
-jeff
Old 06-10-2022, 10:00 AM
twk63
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for the great information! I am planning to apply for a PA Non-Commercial Class A license, the challenge is finding an appropriately licensed individual to accompany me to the test.

According to the HHRV website, PA does not allow for these rig sto be registered as an RV or motorhome, so I am not sure what the ramifications would be? That might force me to go the CDL route.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:14 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

F450 can tow 30k+ lbs on a gooseneck and comes with commercial grade tires. Why not just save yourself the hassle of licenses and grab one of those?
The following users liked this post:
gman3280 (07-05-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 08:38 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Not sure what the hhrv website is but i know a lot of people that have reclassed a class 5-8 rigs in pa in the jeep world. My rig was reclassed in GA, we bought it and DE had no issue in transfering the title as a rv. It usually needs living quarters immenities added for the requirement. U may want to find an experienced title company to confir with.

oh and driving a f450 long distances is misersble compared to the comfort, power and control of a class 8.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:22 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 162 Posts

In PA (the only relevant state in this thread) making it an RV won't change the licensing requirements, which frankly aren't that big a deal. I'd call the DMV and just confirm you can register the truck as a private vehicle (can't see why not) and call your insurance and confirm they will insure it (ditto).

My dad was filling his retirement time as a driver for a Mercedes dealership. Tons of those guys have class A CDLs and plenty of spare time, for a bottle of bourbon a dude rode with me.

You'll just need someone with *at least* a non commercial Class A, a full CDL class A will work, obviously.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:12 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by RossP
F450 can tow 30k+ lbs on a gooseneck and comes with commercial grade tires. Why not just save yourself the hassle of licenses and grab one of those?
Typically a trailer over 10k triggers the need for a Class A. I got away with it not having one when I had my 450 and gooseneck, but I would have gone for the license had I not sold the truck.

BTW the benefit of the 450 is you can basically use it as a DD, something you’re not doing with a semi.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:01 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Except getting a class a or b is a much bigger and expensive pita now. The feds r now enforcing a full training program which requires a certifide school to complete. Also the penalties for violations are much greater. A non-comercial overweight lisence is a different animal.

As an rv i skip every weigh station, dont need log books and there r many equipment exeptions so the dot police cant hassle me. Kinda like how im allowed to drive the new jersey garden state parkway when i go to lrp.
Old 06-19-2022, 10:14 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 266 Posts

I own a couple of hundred Class 8 (KW and Freightliners) that are used to move our products for my private business. Personally, I use a 2019 F350 and a 2020 F450 for my towing. I am done with owning my big truck as for me it is not necessary.

Many of the "modified" trucks sold into this market are what I call garbage line-haul spec, high mileage trucks that get cleaned up/modified and dressed up. So, if you are really going down this route, take your time and don't fall in love with the paint job and refresh interior.

Serviceability is big issue with big trucks. If you break down some place, it gets expensive, and also you end up at a truck dealer some place and you will be treated like crap. Dealers treat drivers like scum of the earth, and it is not fun. This is one of the biggest issues; unplanned downtime and that experience at a large truck dealership.

Further, I would stick with the proven powertrain: Cummins or Cat, Eaton manual transmission, Meritor or Dana rear end, Hendrickson air suspension. I would also stay with higher quality brands: Kenworth, Peterbilt or at least Freightliner where they have many dealerships.

I would stay from any of the automated manual transmissions, disc brakes, funky APUs, Volvo trucks, International Trucks, Sterling, ..., Ford F550/650; not enough dealers and a long history of unsuccessful product launches.

I would also be very careful as to whom has done the modifications to the truck. There are hacks out there that extend wheelbase and make chassis/suspension modifications without understanding of vehicle dynamics, heat treated frame rails, air brake timing, etc. I had a Renegade which IMHO are top grade.

As stated above, I would seriously consider an F450 if you have a "regular" size gooseneck and no need for a sleeper.

As far as CDL, I always thought that air brakes or 26,001+ lbs and you needed CDL? Maybe I am wrong as I have had my CDL since 1983 and I require CDL for anyone in my company that drives anything.

Your biggest issue will not be being pulled over by law enforcement.

Last edited by Igooz; 06-19-2022 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:55 AM
twk63
Rennlist Member

After much deliberation, I decided to go the F-450 route. I just picked up a 2019 F-450 Limited. I am planning on getting a non-commercial Class A license. I just need to find a licensed driver to accompany me to the road test.

Thank you all for your input!

The following 2 users liked this post by twk63:
Nickshu (06-28-2022), RossP (06-28-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 10:02 AM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Congrats, that truck is a beast! I loved my 450, the improvements over the 350 make a huge difference when towing
Old 07-05-2022, 12:18 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 266 Posts

After much deliberation, I decided to go the F-450 route. I just picked up a 2019 F-450 Limited. I am planning on getting a non-commercial Class A license. I just need to find a licensed driver to accompany me to the road test.

Thank you all for your input!

Congratulations! F450 is great, good ride, great wheel cut, and last year of the bullet proof 6-speed transmission; I have the 2020!
Hopefully this truck does not have a wicked low axle ratio!
Question: Are those 19.5 wheels? They look small in the picture.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:55 PM
twk63
Rennlist Member

Default Wherls

No, they’re 19.5. They just look small in the photos

Quick Reply: Class 8 tow rig