Notices

Which truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 10:13 AM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I purchased a 2022 F350 with the 6.2 gas engine a couple months ago. I could not justify the diesel.

When I purchased, Ford had closed orders "for the 2022 model year". You'll have to check if this is still true.

Mine is XT trim, super crew, 10 speed trans, and more or less all the little work options (snow plow prep, locking axle, etc). Only thing it was missing was the trailer brake controller which was an exercise in frustration. I fluid filmed the hell out of the frame to help prevent it from rusting.

I've done a couple track weekends in it, and it's been great so far. A trip to Watkins Glen will be a longer test later this season.

I also got a chuckle out of having a GVWR over 10K. In my state, some garages don't quite understand the regulations.

Last edited by Locker537; 06-20-2022 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:04 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
I have found that a WD/SC hitch helps a lot. Enclosed usually require those compared to open ones.
Yup, have both weight distribution and sway control. Still a sketchy experience on windy days.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:19 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Don't get the Tremor if you want to tow. Just get an FX4.

Starting in 2020, the F250 with the High Capacity Trailer Tow Package is the same as an F350. They do this for states that tax 1 ton trucks higher, so you can get an F350 (that says F250 on it) without paying the taxes. I believe the only difference is the rated bed capacity is slightly lower. Whether it's actually lower is a matter if internet debate (part numbers are all the same).

That said I think the HCTTP requires the diesel engine, not sure. Mine is a diesel. The 6.7L engine is amazing. It runs so consistently and could pull a house.

Getting plow springs on the front raises the front by 1" if you like the leveled look w/o having to install a leveling kit. Many say the trucks tow better w/ the plow springs up front, but I have no comparison. Snow Plow prep also gets you bigger alternator and upfitter switches, as a bonus.

If you are retaining stock ride height (not lifting) installing Caster shims on the front makes a world of difference in the steering tracking straight on the highway. I went with the Carli shims. Literally takes 10 minutes per side to install, then go get it aligned.

Mine is setup w/ Airlift airbags on the rear and I run an Equalizer WDH if towing longer distances. Ran it without the airbags first and just the WDH. Tows much better w/ both IMO, despite that the airbags reduce the WDH effect, I am just using the WDH for sway control really now.

Adaptive cruise makes highway towing a dream with these trucks.

Many debate adaptive steering (reduces wheel turns needed at low speeds). Some like it, some don't. I drove both before ordering. Did not get it.
I have the HCTTP on my 2020 F250. I also have the dual alternator setup. Only thing I wish I had was the snow plow package that would have given me the front spring upgrade.

Great tip on the Carli caster shims, I'll get those installed.
The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 10:30 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 417 Posts

1200 miles a year is not F250 diesel worthy. An F150, or equivalent Dodge/Chevy, with max tow package will do just fine for your needs.

Peter
The following users liked this post:
mhm993 (06-21-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 03:14 PM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Diesel

We’ve got 280,000 miles on our 2002 Duramax with over 100,000 miles towing a 4 horse trailer or 24’ steel equipment trailer with our 951. It’s been awesome but when we got the 42’ enclosed trailer we figured it was time to get a heavier truck. Liked the 2002 so much we bought a 2002 Duramax dually with 10,000 miles on it and it never even knows the trailer is there in the wind. Thought about a new truck but couldn’t find any and now we don’t mess with DEF and all the emission problems new trucks have. A friend bought a new 1 ton dually Ford last fall and it went 500 miles before the motor blew up. Every brand has good points and bad but we went with something we know holds up. We get 12mpg towing the new trailer and about 20 empty. If you don’t drive a lot it can be hard to justify the extra cost of the diesel. A friend has a gas truck with a similar sized trailer and he gets 6mpg. Do the math and get what works for you.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:02 PM
nowayout
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not Toyota Tundra? Rated at 9k but I have towed 12k with it. For the weight you are considering it would be easy
Old 08-07-2022, 08:40 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by nowayout
Why not Toyota Tundra? Rated at 9k but I have towed 12k with it. For the weight you are considering it would be easy
That sounds really smart.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:14 PM
nowayout
Track Day

Originally Posted by RossP
That sounds really smart.
Some of us use our trucks for work.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:14 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Try using that explanation in court when you are involved in an accident and you are 3k over the rated limit of your truck.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:31 AM
nowayout
Track Day

Originally Posted by RossP
Try using that explanation in court when you are involved in an accident and you are 3k over the rated limit of your truck.
If you gave ever driven over the speed limit or had a sip of alcohol and driven I could say the same thing. Lets stop playing this game ok.

Heres a little context for you. We rent out dump trailers to contractors. They fill them on the site and we come and take them to the dump. We limit how much they can fill them but they sometimes go over. We had no idea it was that heavy till we got to the scales. Like I said it towed it fine without issue or any indication that it was "dangerous"
Old 08-09-2022, 09:39 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 479 Posts

I have a '21 Ram 1500 picked up at Carmax used with about 6K.

I tow our 6,000# camper with an Equalizer hitch. Pretty happy with it. I like the Hemi and the 3.92 helps a lot. So far no issues, have about 21K on it so far, just two oil changes and a cabin filter (DIY) for maintenance. Rides smooth.

I'd say the 32 gallon extended tank it has is the biggest positive surprise, I didn't know the truck had it until I bought it, but boy is it useful.
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2022, 01:25 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

The only thing worse than your attitude is your advice that it's good practice to regularly tow 33% over your truck's legal rated limit, and for business purposes no less.
-Mark

Edit - received by PM, a nice touch.
Where did I have an "attitude"? And where did I advise towing over limit? Some of you sound like little babies. Make sure you stay in the lines of all laws and regulations and do what you are told. Im sure you are vaccinated too. Why even respond if you have nothing to add to the topic?

Last edited by lowside67; 08-09-2022 at 06:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lowside67:
jerome951 (08-11-2022), RossP (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 10:30 AM
chartersb
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

I rent a 3/4 ton diesel crew cab mid-level trim from Enterprise Commercial. Always almost new Ford or Ram. Towing a 24ft steel enclosed with race car and lots of stuff. Tows and stops like a 1/2 ton with an open trailer. Typically 4 day rental, 8 events a year at $120 or so per day. Annual cost of $3800+- is around $320+- a month which is way less than you can buy a low mileage used truck for.
The following 2 users liked this post by chartersb:
Igooz (08-11-2022), Martin S. (08-11-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 08:08 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,327 Likes on 807 Posts

So you are advocating a capability while used for work which is most likely just around town. Try that for several 100s of miles going to and from a track event. Scary, ain't it.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:37 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I am using a 2020 Tundra to to tow my Boxster or Cayman with a Futura Trailer. So the load is around 4500 pounds. I have a tire rack but I haven't put any tires on it yet, so add another 200 for 4 tires.

For the Tundra:
  • The trans cooler was dropped in 2019-2021, returning in 2022 but you can install one using all factory parts (thermostat, lines) except for the cooler itself which used to be integrated with the condenser, but the word is it was dropped when they needed back the condenser capacity due to a refrigerant change in 2018. Genuine Cooling Systems sells a kit that uses the factory parts plus a Setrab cooler and is the one I run.
  • The Tundra owner's manual states to use a WDH with loads over 5000 pounds and 500 pound tongue weight. I am under that and I don't use a WDH
  • The extended 38 gallon tank is nice vs the standard 26.4 gallon tank. The big tank comes on the SR5 trim if it is designated with the package, and all higher trims. The base model SR comes with the smaller tank, and some SR5s have it, but the big tank is easy to see on the Toyota website if you plug in the vin of a truck you are looking at. If it has the bench seat it has the smaller tank.
  • The Roadmaster Active Suspension seems to be a popular mod for folks that tow with the Tundra up near the max load. I don't have one, and seem to be fine without it, but since I love gadgets, and the price isn't crazy, I might get one to try it...
  • 4x4 doesn't get you any more suspension that the 4x2, although there is a TRD offroad suspension that I have, but it comes on both 4x4 and 4x2 (not to be confused with the TRD Pro suspension which is a whole thing, the "TRD Offroad" is just different shocks I think)
Now that I have a Tundra, I have seen lots of them at the track, towing both open trailers and 1-2 enclosed trailers. I've been happy with mine and it tows my 4500 pound open trailer load very easily. I get around 14 mpg towing on the highway if I stick to the speed limit and it takes 87. If I spend a lot of time passing everybody, it drops down to around 12 mpg. With no trailer it gets around 19 highway which is about the same as my Toyota FJ Cruiser, but that takes premium. I don't have any plans to go to a bigger trailer at this time.

I've got the crewmax and I have 3 big plastic totes that I keep in the back with the seats folded up. I could put them in the bed as well but I have been keeping my tires in there.

I come to Sebring with Suncoast region 3-4 times a year and will be there 10/1-10/2 and you are welcome to come check it out my rig. I am a Toyota person so I was biased toward the Tundra.

7500 pounds sounds like it is well within the limits, but if it is enclosed, I don't have any experience with that, I have heard that wind is a big factor blowing things around. They do make a double cab with an 8 foot bed with extended wheelbase, there is a gentleman on the Tundras.com forums that tows a GT4 all over with that rig with great success and the longer wheelbase could help with stability.

Good luck and maybe we can compare tow rigs at Sebring some time.

Edit - I believe there are some Tundra folks on here that tow, @Martin S. I think might tow with a Tundra?

Last edited by steved0x; 08-11-2022 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Which truck