Notices

Trailer winch wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 04:45 PM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Trailer winch wiring?

I'm adding a 4500 lb winch to my open trailer (Miata). Since I'll only use it a few times a year if the car doesn't run or it's raining, can I simplify the power source by using external long leads and clamps to the truck battery? This would save me from wiring through the truck or adding a battery to the trailer and I would just throw the wires in the trailer toolbox. What size clamps and what gauge wire?
Old 09-24-2022, 07:05 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Warn makes a kit with a swich and seliniod. U run it down the frame rail and it gives u an anderson connector. This is the safest way to do it as most cable and clamps (jumper cables) r undersized for the load a winch can pull.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:11 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

A good portable jump pack works great and is nice to have at the track for your vehicles in case you need it.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by flatsics; 09-27-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:10 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Unless you use very heavy cables you will lose too much amperage over a long run. Use a jumper pack.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:26 PM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

I've wired up this
"booster cable" set "booster cable" set
: short cable with ring ends to the winch controller and the longer clamp ends will go on the Cayenne battery. Tests good, will winch a car onto the trailer for the first time this weekend.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:21 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by toma nova
I've wired up this "booster cable" set: short cable with ring ends to the winch controller and the longer clamp ends will go on the Cayenne battery. Tests good, will winch a car onto the trailer for the first time this weekend.

Measure the voltage at the battery terminals of your Cayenne and then measure the voltage at the input of the winch while running the winch and loading the car. That is your voltage drop across those long jumpers. The winch may work just fine at the reduced voltage, since Miata is a lightweight vehicle. Worst case is initial pull up the ramp.

You may want to have the Cayenne running (even better, higher than idle speed) so that the alternator is charging more. Touch the cables and see if they get warm.

Be careful if that winch motor fails short or to ground, you will be grounding a live jumper cable. You don’t have a fuse in this circuit.

FWIW: 1500Amp rating for the cables is a tribal number used for the inrush current of a stalled starter motor in a diesel at 20F (IE thick engine oil). It has been around for 40yrs.

Last edited by Igooz; 10-05-2022 at 10:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
toma nova (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 11:01 PM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback. Winched the Boxster up this evening, no issues (with the winch. Boxster needs the PDK repaired). When I have time, I’ll check the voltage as you suggest. Cayenne was running, cables did not get warm. I’ll also look at adding a fuse in line.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:24 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 267 Posts

IMHO: Putting jumper cables on the Cayenne's battery and then running an inductive load (winch motor) is not something that is really great for the electronics in your car. I have no clue how robust the Cayenne electronics are nor how bad the power spikes are...so, I would not do what you are thinking about doing on a regular basis. My wife has been a 15 year long Cayenne GTS owner: 957.2/958.2/9Y0, and I have dealt with a fair share of ghost electronics issues with these cars and the newest one being by far the worst.

The cleanest way would be to just bite the bullet, mount a battery in a sealed box as close to the winch motor as possible with short and fat cables; isolated from the car. And when the trailer is not in use, simply trickle charge that battery.

Signing out...
The following users liked this post:
TET GT3 (05-07-2023)
Old 10-06-2022, 02:56 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
IMHO: Putting jumper cables on the Cayenne's battery and then running an inductive load (winch motor) is not something that is really great for the electronics in your car. I have no clue how robust the Cayenne electronics are nor how bad the power spikes are...so, I would not do what you are thinking about doing on a regular basis. My wife has been a 15 year long Cayenne GTS owner: 957.2/958.2/9Y0, and I have dealt with a fair share of ghost electronics issues with these cars and the newest one being by far the worst.

The cleanest way would be to just bite the bullet, mount a battery in a sealed box as close to the winch motor as possible with short and fat cables; isolated from the car. And when the trailer is not in use, simply trickle charge that battery.

Signing out...
This is what I did. Total cost was low and I didn't risk damaging my truck
Old 10-10-2022, 08:25 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 283 Posts

Get a tongue storage box for your trailer. Put a small battery/jump pack in there. Maybe even get a small solar trickle charger for it. I used a jump pack for a few years that way when I had my open trailer.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:04 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Just replaced my stolen trailer with a new Trailex CT-8055 EB today. I asked for a quote on a battery set up and a wiring to my car set up. The car setup was less expensive and I don't have a battery to worry about. No brainer, have your vehicle hard wired.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:26 AM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Jump box works fine with my wi-fi-remote winch.

I have a stub wall in my trailer. My winch was mounted to the top of the stub wall and triangulated with a turnbuckle mounted to a strip of E-Track bolted to the trailer floor against the front trailer wall.

When I sold my Elise and got a Cayman, I noticed the tow ring on the Lotus was on-center and the tow ring on the Cayman was 12" right of center.

I mounted a 5' parallel-style E-Track to the top of my stub wall. Then I mounted my winch to the backside of a shorter piece of vertical E-Track. Slapped them together face-to-face. Sourced a couple of E-track clips with enough reach to lock the two tracks together. One clip goes on each side of the winch.

This allows me to move the winch right or left in 4" increments. Easy to move the turnbuckle to match.

Now I can winch essentially any car with a tow ring, one hand on the remote, and the other on the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Trailer winch wiring?