ATC quest questions - tire rack etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 07:22 PM
Sancho22
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ATC quest questions - tire rack etc

Hi
of any of you guys could share the “blueprint “ of an ATC quest that would be fantastic

can’t get through to get the needed information for a tire rack and e- track install

Specifically looking for wall thickness and dimensions and distance of the beams from each other?
Thanks in advance for any help
Old 10-02-2022, 10:16 PM
serickson
Rennlist Member

No drawings but I recently purchased a used Intech 24. Basically Intech told me they would never recommend adding airline/etrack or wall tire rack unless provisions were made at the factory for backing plates. Aluminum wall studs are too weak. So I don't have access to my car so project is on hold until then. I was thinking/hoping to put tires on a dolly with cargo net on top of them to secure and add more floor d-rings. Have no idea if this would work or distribution of weight ok. I just don't trust wall tire rack. Good luck. Interested in any ideas.
Steve
Old 10-02-2022, 11:33 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sancho22
Hi
of any of you guys could share the “blueprint “ of an ATC quest that would be fantastic

can’t get through to get the needed information for a tire rack and e- track install

Specifically looking for wall thickness and dimensions and distance of the beams from each other?
Thanks in advance for any help
How about a photo - tire rack thru bolted to 2007 ATC trailer wall - 4 x 3/8" Grade 8 bolts and 2" washers on outside of trailer - used since 2012 with no problems . . .
I think the trailer studs are 2" and 24" spaced - matches up fine with the 48" tire rack . . .
Regards,
Roy T

ATC Trailer showing tire rack bolted to side wall

Old 10-03-2022, 09:16 AM
twk63
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 48 Posts

I had an ATC previously. I used shoring beams on e-track to carry tires horizontally above the hood of my car. Carried the load much more safely than mounting a tire rack on the wall.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:58 AM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 2020 ATC Quest trailer with all the ATC schematic drawings. However, they are general, not shop detailed. Thus, they show the physical location of the ATC tire rack, but do not show method of attachments, wall stud details or locations, etc. I dont believe they would be of any value - see attached.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:53 AM
Sancho22
Rennlist Member

thanks for all the replies - MUCH appreciated!
Old 10-03-2022, 08:08 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,327 Likes on 807 Posts

Unfortunately I have an Intech where the walls are on 16" centers. I screwed into those but instead of using the predrilled holes on the rack I drilled several extra ones between them into them as well. Mine were 12" on the rack verticals and I added 1 additional hole between each section; now every 6".
Old 10-04-2022, 03:20 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

Per Intech when I had some major mods done by them on my used Intech, they don't recommend mounting anything on the walls unless backers (1/8" or 1/4" aluminum plate) are welded between the studs. All Intechs have 16" on-center wall studs. I think ATC does also.

They put 1/4" aluminum backers between studs where I have C-Tech folding workbenches mounted on the walls and 1/8" backers where I have a TV wall mount, fuel can rack, floor jack holster, and other smaller items installed.

Edit: You can see a workbench on the outside of the trailer. I had backers installed in that location so I can hang the table outside when parked and move it inside to one of 3 locations for storage or use. I have two of the C-Tech folding workbenches. The "buttons" for hanging them is all that remains on the wall when the table is not installed. Flip-Down Bench | CTech Manufacturing

Example below.

Edit #2: Added construction photos when the trailer was initially built in Feb of 2014 for the previous owner. You can get some idea of the size of studs and placement, but spacing is based on 16". For Intech, the exterior skin thickness varies depending on the trim level of the trailer and if thicker material was optionally purchased. I believe the interior skin thickness installed in my trailer is .040".

Last edited by okie981; 10-04-2022 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Added construction photos
The following users liked this post:
Sancho22 (10-04-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 11:17 AM
Slow RSA
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

As noted above, the Quest build diagrams aren't detailed to show stud spacing but it is 16". I'm also one that installed e-track on the walls and use shoring beams across for a tire rack above the car. To install the e-track, find the studs where the seams of the wall panels overlap. Then they are 16" from there, I've had two sets of tires/wheels on that rack for 3 years straight and (fingers crossed) no issues yet. I'll have to do some digging, but I believe there was some specific hardware than made the difference, maybe an alloy self tapping screw if I'm not mistaken? I predrilled small guide holes then used the self tapping screws. But do your research there, you want to use the right hardware that won't back out of or create corrosion on the aluminum studs.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:35 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sancho22
thanks for all the replies - MUCH appreciated!
I tried to Edit my post but couldn't figure it out - - anyway... I measured the 2007 ATC and found (like others) that the studs are 16" - not 24"
- but 16" x 3 = 48" - - this is the tire rack width for a wall mount :-))
One benefit to this wall mount is it can be folded down and out of the way when the tires are off the rack . . .

Wish you the best in your project,
Regards,
Roy T
CaymanR99 (10-28-2022)
Old 10-16-2022, 05:36 PM
Sancho22
Rennlist Member

thanks!
Old 11-27-2022, 05:09 PM
Slow RSA
Rennlist Member

For those of yall wondering, I'm 99% positive these were the screws I used to attach my E-track to my walls. However, most companies were sold out at/around toilet paper week 2020, so I ordered for about $1/each from McMaster Carr. I hope this helps:
https://dccargomall.com/products/1-e...41203242270914

M_Weining (11-27-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 12:57 AM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

I’m glad I came across this because I’m pretty sure when I installed my e track something happened corrosion wise. Most of the e track that I installed in my aluminum feather lite trailer looks fine, but a couple of tracks don’t. I don’t think I was consistent with the type of screw I was using and clearly I used the wrong screw for some of the track. Can I unscrew the track that is corroded and put new e track in with the correct screw (as recommended by slow RSA) and it’ll be OK or do I have a bigger issue? Here are a few pictures of the issue. Thanks for any guidance!

Old 11-29-2022, 10:10 AM
Slow RSA
Rennlist Member

I'm no expert, but I think there was some prior threads here on Rennlist... even though aluminum doesn't rust, apparently it doesn't play nice with all metals and you have to choose your hardware accordingly. I've had mine set up (photo above) for almost 3 years now, and (knock on wood), no corrosion or strength issues.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:43 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

Just bought those screws you referenced and I’ll use them with new E track I have that will replace the corroded track. Appreciate the suggestion!

Quick Reply: ATC quest questions - tire rack etc