Notices

Escape Door

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 03:07 AM
buzzyn
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Escape Door

Looking to upgrade my open flatbed for an enclosed trailer. I have been planning on getting a trailer with the the full side escape door and it is about a $2k option. The more options I keep adding :-) I'm now questioning if that is really a must have. I think it is so I wouldn't have to winch every time but maybe that isn't that big of a deal (btw, I'm not climbing out of the window). Wanted to check and see what the brain trust has to say as I need to make a decision in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks for the input
Old 01-16-2023, 06:02 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzyn;[url=tel:18574159
18574159]Looking to upgrade my open flatbed for an enclosed trailer. I have been planning on getting a trailer with the the full side escape door and it is about a $2k option. The more options I keep adding :-) I'm now questioning if that is really a must have. I think it is so I wouldn't have to winch every time but maybe that isn't that big of a deal (btw, I'm not climbing out of the window). Wanted to check and see what the brain trust has to say as I need to make a decision in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks for the input
In my case, with a full cage (GT3 Cup) and a relatively narrow trailer, it would not have been possible to drive into the trailer without an escape door. I had a remote winch and the escape door gives you access to guide the car on the way in. Pay attention to it’s placement relative to where your car will (for ideal weight distribution) sit in the trailer accounting for car door height/switch and position. Good luck and safe trailering!
Old 01-16-2023, 09:10 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

I vote yes on side door for loading / unloading. Winching in takes more time and w/o side door, guiding in and even more so out, can be a challenge if not behind the wheel, or at least reaching in the window.

If the winch mount and or pull point is not dead center, then the force will have the tendency to slide the wheels left or right as they roll in and out, without counter steering input, it could get dicey.

It only takes one mis pull / release to do 2K damage to the trailer or car.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:58 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I've never had an escape door in my 24 years. I prefer to winch. I can watch all the way around while. Plus, if you ever break or wreck, a winch is invaluable. If installing, note where your tow hook is and mount accordingly.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:24 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,327 Likes on 807 Posts

I spec'd mine with a door. Winch can always be installed as an emergency back up.

Last edited by ExMB; 01-16-2023 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:25 AM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzyn
Looking to upgrade my open flatbed for an enclosed trailer. I have been planning on getting a trailer with the the full side escape door and it is about a $2k option. The more options I keep adding :-) I'm now questioning if that is really a must have. I think it is so I wouldn't have to winch every time but maybe that isn't that big of a deal (btw, I'm not climbing out of the window). Wanted to check and see what the brain trust has to say as I need to make a decision in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks for the input
We (Son/driver and I/Crew Chief) have used a winch in an 24' enclosed without an escape door for 14 years . . . but I have also loaded and unloaded by myself with no problems . . .
"Must Have" escape door for $2K . . . don't think so . . . .if you have a car failure a winch can be a necessity.
We started with a steel drive on open trailer - PITA
Wish you the best on your choice.

Regards,
Roy T
Old 01-16-2023, 04:07 PM
buzzyn
6th Gear

Thanks for the quick responses. I know moving up to anything from an open trailer is a nice upgrade but I didn't want to later regret not doing it when I had the chance. I have a winch that will be moved to the enclosed trailer as I want it for backup no matter what. One thing is that I have two cars (dad gave me his Nismo) with tow hook in different locations so a little wheel adjustments will be needed.

In the grand scheme of things $2k isn't alot compared to all other aspects of tracking but it is still a chunk of change. Everyone local just has regular 24' enclosed and either winch or climb out of windown but I think I would regret it later as the convenience factor seems huge. I'll keep mulling on it but tilting toward the door

thanks
Old 01-16-2023, 05:09 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Get the door. What if your winch battery is dead (it happens)? It also makes it easier to strap down most cars, the door allows you to do some work inside the car without having to remove it from the trailer. The door, when open also provide good protection against the elements, be it rain or sun.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:31 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

The gentleman I bought my cup from took the driver side door off to load and then hung it back on for transport. Just another idea...
Old 01-17-2023, 12:42 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Driving into a trailer and jumping out using an escape door is so quick and easy, I would never order a trailer without one. I also have a winch and have used it on the rare instances when the car is not drivable. So, unlike previous poster who never had an escape door and "prefers" to use the winch...I've used both, so my preference is based on experience with both. Having an escape door that doubles as an awning has obvious additional advantages. Trailex offers escape doors on both sides, which makes tying down the car that much easier.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:35 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,327 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
The gentleman I bought my cup from took the driver side door off to load and then hung it back on for transport. Just another idea...
SmH 🤦‍♂️
Old 01-17-2023, 06:04 PM
buzzyn
6th Gear

Originally Posted by John H
Interesting approach but probably not the route I'm interested in pursuing :-0

thanks
Old 01-17-2023, 06:33 PM
buzzyn
6th Gear

Ok, I'm going with the door. Ordering new just like I want is now a 3-6 mo wait unless I want to retrofit some existing models on the lot .... more decisions. Thanks again for being a sounding board. long time lurker but will have to engage a bit more now :-)
Old 01-17-2023, 11:45 PM
b16gsr
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

https://inventory.mogreatdane.com/20...b2n%7CbIh.html

Why not get something thats available with the door and add options?
Old 01-18-2023, 12:41 AM
buzzyn
6th Gear

Originally Posted by b16gsr
https://inventory.mogreatdane.com/20...b2n%7CbIh.html

Why not get something thats available with the door and add options?
small world, I lived within a couple miles of that address in St Peters when I was I kid. Wow, has that area grown.

Well, I have a car coming that wont be delivered until early summer which is what I really want it for, I can make do with the open flatbed until then

thanks

Quick Reply: Escape Door