Minimum Battery Size for Winch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 12:39 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Minimum Battery Size for Winch?

If I finally install a winch I hope I won't ever need it. At this point I am considering a 3500-4500 lb winch which should have sufficient capacity to load my 3100 lb car onto a Trailex enclosed that is hardly spacious in the front interior.

I would like to minimize the size, weight and cost of the battery. Anyone have experience using a deep cycle AGM battery that is considerably smaller than group 24 / 650+ CCA, which is usually recommended?
Old 04-05-2024, 02:18 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 780 Likes on 507 Posts

I'm curious too. I've been thinking about a big lithium battery.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:51 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by dave-C2
If I finally install a winch I hope I won't ever need it. At this point I am considering a 3500-4500 lb winch which should have sufficient capacity to load my 3100 lb car onto a Trailex enclosed that is hardly spacious in the front interior.

I would like to minimize the size, weight and cost of the battery. Anyone have experience using a deep cycle AGM battery that is considerably smaller than group 24 / 650+ CCA, which is usually recommended?
You want to check the winch rating... meaning how many amps it draws. This does not equate to the Cranking Amp Ratings for a Battery at all because cranking is a short time event, where as winching is a longer and more of a deep discharge event. But what I can tell you is that I have a kneeling trailer... the type that goes down to the ground so you can load very low cars on it and just drive them up onto it and then it will raise back up when the car is driven onto it. And it came with a 30 size Powersports Battery on it , which I felt was a bit small, but that battery would not only power the kneeling down part of the trailer which is done with cables , but then also had a winch that would pull the car up onto the trailer when it was kneeling. While I never did them both being I would usually drive my GT3 RS up onto the trailer itself so didn't use the winch part of it during my loading of the trailer. The bottom line is the smaller 30 size Powersport battery did work for raising and lowering the trailer with a GT3 on it quite easily... But being a battery person I would not trust that for more than 2 loads on and off....

I would get a bigger battery actually. Keep in mind you can use any size battery you can find at Walmart like and H5 battery. You don't really need a deep cycle if you just winching a Car on and off.... but yes it would be better but a bit bigger. Another cool thing you want to have is a small solar panel and a solar charger to keep the winch battery topped off, the work great.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:59 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I'm curious too. I've been thinking about a big lithium battery.
For Lithium Battery they MAY work well for winching but the problem is they are not as good for HEAVY winching.... meaning towing trucks out of Mud bogs and heavy duty stuff.... the problem is they offer massive power in the starter battery format but that can over heat faster due to the level of current they can put out. The issue with the DEEP CYCLE versions of Lithium... which we also make... is that they are a different type of battery cell that is intended for energy storage, but not high current output like a starter battery. So even a 100Amp Hour Lithium Deep Cycle is usually only rated for about 100-150 constant Current amps and if its overloaded it will just turn off. And the 200Ah Battery can be used upto about 200 Amps continuous current... BUT often times whiches can draw 300 amps....

So if you go lithium you have to look at what you are winching and how many amps you need to supply. A Lithium Starter battery is great for non super-high currents with big winches because the starter battery can put out serious current for shorter periods... but not too long or they may over heat and be damaged. I use one now in my trailer that I speak of above in my first post, and it pulls a 66 Mustang RestoMod quite easily up and down the trailer....better than the smaller lead acid by a long way. But again is depends on what you are pulling and for how long and some other factors to make the best choice. We recommend them for lighter pulls like pulling cars up ramps and such but not for pulling trucks out of ditches and stuff... they just put out to much energy to fast and can overheat....unless you had a big one. So Lead is better at those type of things since it doesn't produce as much current so fast and there is not BMS to overheat.

Last edited by Antigravity; 04-06-2024 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:04 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 780 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
For Lithium Battery they MAY work well for winching but the problem is they are not as good for HEAVY winching.... meaning towing trucks out of Mud bogs and heavy duty stuff.... the problem is they offer massive power in the starter battery format but that can over heat faster due to the level of current they can put out. The issue with the DEEP CYCLE versions of Lithium... which we also make... is that they are a different type of battery cell that is intended for energy storage, but not high current output like a starter battery. So even a 100Amp Hour Lithium Deep Cycle is usually only rated for about 100-150 constant Current amps and if its overloaded it will just turn off. And the 200Ah Battery can be used upto about 200 Amps continuous current... BUT often times whiches can draw 300 amps....

So if you go lithium you have to look at what you are winching and how many amps you need to supply. A Lithium Starter battery is great for non super-high currents with big winches because the starter battery can put out serious current for shorter periods... but not too long or they may over heat and be damaged. I use one now in my trailer that I speak of above in my first post, and it pulls a 66 Mustang RestoMod quite easily up and down the trailer....better than the smaller lead acid by a long way. But again is depends on what you are pulling and for how long and some other factors to make the best choice. We recommend them for lighter pulls like pulling cars up ramps and such but not for pulling trucks out of ditches and stuff... they just put out to much energy to fast and can overheat....unless you had a big one. So Lead is better at those type of things since it doesn't produce as much current so fast and there is not BMS to overheat.
Thanks! I'm planning on using it to pull a 2,000 car into an enclosed trailer. It will probably end up pulling some 3,000 lb cars, but no stuck in the mud scenarios. Sounds like I'll be ok with a good starter battery then.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:25 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Might want to consider a bigger winch too. I think the recommendations are rated AT LEAST 1.5x the weight of the car.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:10 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 300 Posts

I use a 2500lb winch and a Deka powersports 30 battery on my trailer to load my 996 Cup. Works like a charm and I don’t have to risk burning up my clutch. The winch might seem small but it’s a rolling load which I would think is less than the weight of the car (maybe half?).
Old 04-08-2024, 11:34 AM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
I use a 2500lb winch and a Deka powersports 30 battery on my trailer to load my 996 Cup. Works like a charm and I don’t have to risk burning up my clutch. The winch might seem small but it’s a rolling load which I would think is less than the weight of the car (maybe half?).
I had a 2500lb winch and replaced it last year with a 4500lb with synthetic rope. Both pulled the car onto the trailer, but the 4500lb version makes a lot less noise.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:45 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

i just use a battery jumper box
Old 04-16-2024, 10:23 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

There is no need to go small on your winch and battery capacity. Assume that one day you are trying to get your disabled car onto the trailer. Maybe the car is on 4 rolling dollies because the wheels are not turning or missing. That's when you wish you had a stronger winch. Also, get the biggest battery possible because you this is not like starting up a car where you are focused on cranking amps.

Quick Reply: Minimum Battery Size for Winch?