Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Numbers Matching 1988 Carrera 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:57 PM
neilschelly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Numbers Matching 1988 Carrera 3.2

Year: 1988
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Cont. Porsche Models: 911
Mileage (numbers only please): 218000
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Air Conditioning, Alarm System, Foglamps, Intermittent Wipers, Leather Seats, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, Sunroof
Color: Silver
VIN: WP0AB0910JS121840
Price (no $ sign please): $19000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): NorthEast
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 5 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM CD

SOLD

Overview
This is a daily-driven 1988 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 with ~218k miles on the odometer. I have driven the car about 70k miles in the almost 5 years I've owned it. I have spent that time repairing many of the components of the car that were neglected over the years. When I got the car, none of the power windows or sunroof worked, the locks sometimes worked, and none of the HVAC worked. The stereo didn’t work, the power seats didn’t work, and many lights didn’t work. I fixed all of that, upgraded the stereo a bit to modern standards, and repaired several of the mechanical bits along the way.

Mechanically, the car is very sound, and it has rarely left me stuck. I just finished a ~1300 mile road trip to Hershey, PA (for the Porsche swap meet), State College, PA (to visit some family), Baltimore, MD (for a conference), and Washington, DC (to visit more family) with no issues. The front trunk and backseat were packed, the kiddo was in the back, and my wife was also along for most of the ride. The car was very full, and I wouldn't hesitate to depend on the car for another road trip. Even the AC blew cold when needed.

This is a car I have loved (and still love) owning. I have autocrossed it a few times, though I haven’t been a serious autocrosser in years. I have ice raced it too. I highly recommend it. I have driven it year round in the northeast, through snow and ice and rain and everything. I have road-tripped in the car thousands of miles, carried home Christmas trees on the roof, and made runs to the dump. Until the last few weeks, there’s a child seat in the back for my 15-month old daughter who has been a regular passenger since she was born. People stop to ask me about it all the time. Other Porsche owners wave at me as I drive by. Owning this car has been a wonderful experience, and this will not be my last Porsche.

Price
I’m asking for $19,000.

Pictures
Here’s a full album of pictures to look at: http://www.jenandneil.com/gallery3/i...rsche-For-Sale
All the pictures in that album are very high resolution - just keep clicking them until they fill your screen. Please request any additional close-ups or angles and I will try to accommodate the request.

Why I’m Selling
The fundamental reason I am looking to sell the car is the rust I see bubbling around the passenger door. While it doesn’t look bad, I know it will only get worse if I just keep driving the car. I don’t have any interest in taking the car off the road for months or more while I do a restoration that I am ill-prepared to complete. I also don’t want to watch the car waste away while I continue to drive it ignoring the problem.

The Details
This whole posting includes lots more information than a typical listing. Some of it is real problems with the car I eventually meant to address. Some of the problems are really nit-picky and only I would care about. I list all of it in the interests of full disclosure. The buyer of this car gets a wonderful car, a very rewarding ownership experience, an investment in the ever-increasing values of air-cooled Porsches, a project for a resto-mod, etc, and I want that person to know everything I have learned about this car.

If you're interested, please read the whole post full of everything you could want to know about the car's history, condition, what's good, what's bad, etc: http://www.jenandneil.com/serenity

Thanks!

Last edited by neilschelly; 07-10-2016 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Price drop
Old 06-09-2016, 11:49 PM
roguiethegiant
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While your transparency and historical detail is both noteworthy and impressive, given the issues, fix its and salvage title status, combined with 220k miles, I am not sure how you can command $25k for this vehicle. It's a risk at half that, especially considering that I can buy a running 996 c2 for ~$19 to $20k. Best of luck though.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:04 AM
neilschelly
Rennlist Member

I've seen good condition, low mileage examples for over $40k and rusted out 911s without engines going for $10k. I picked a number in the middle for a car that works reliably and is mechanically in awesome shape.

You could get a 996 in the same price range, and that's always been the case. If you're cross shopping a 911 and a 996, you should probably buy the 996. They are very different cars.

If you are interested, please start a conversation or make an offer. I don't appreciate the unproductive criticism.
-N
Old 06-10-2016, 10:19 AM
J1720
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your transparency is refreshing. I wish you luck.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:40 PM
ace17
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 15k car

Its a 12k car tops. Just trying to cash in on this stupid crazy market. But some dumba$$ with far more money than I will ever have will buy it and thus making the market un reachable for some of us that actually would enjoy the car
Old 06-10-2016, 12:48 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

glws

ask what u want... market will speak on true value

your honesty is terrific... others should emulate
Old 06-10-2016, 01:04 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(let me first apologize for this post being completely off topic..)
I'm confused. I was under the impression that the 964 body was introduced in 1989 as a late year release. I'm really going to have to study my history if I'm wrong! Anybody else think this??
Old 06-10-2016, 01:06 PM
McCulla
Pro

DOH, never mind. I just read his link to the "repaired to look like..." story.
Disregard.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:06 PM
roguiethegiant
Rennlist Member

McCulla - I'd agree, the 964 (as far as I know) was a late 1989 release. I just assumed it was a typo (but we all know what they say about typos)
Old 06-10-2016, 05:01 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ace17
Its a 12k car tops. Just trying to cash in on this stupid crazy market. But some dumba$$ with far more money than I will ever have will buy it and thus making the market un reachable for some of us that actually would enjoy the car
Priced what a 3.2L of really any mileage, plus the getting-to-be unicorn of torsion bar G50 transaxles are going for these days? There is a floor where you get to sum-of-parts.

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
ask what u want... market will speak on true value
And that's how it should play out.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:03 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by ace17
The class war stuff belongs elsewhere bro, keep it out of the sales threads. (buy a membership and go into P&C with that, I'm sure it will be a fun thread to watch).

I dig the car, while i wish i had the money for it, i do wish the seller good luck on the sale. Its a car with good potential and it will stay on the road for a lot longer. The transparency is good on this and i applaud the seller for it.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:45 PM
neilschelly
Rennlist Member

Price drop bump. $21k.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:46 PM
neilschelly
Rennlist Member

Another price drop - now $19k!
Old 07-10-2016, 07:26 PM
neilschelly
Rennlist Member

SOLD.
-N
Old 07-11-2016, 12:19 PM
monacojoe
Instructor

Originally Posted by neilschelly
SOLD.
-N
dang - what did this go for out of curiousity?

Quick Reply: Numbers Matching 1988 Carrera 3.2