Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

1979 930 w/ Andial Twin Plug & Big Bore

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:01 AM
mmccull5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 930 (Andial Spec)

Year: 1979
Make: Porsche
Model: 930
Mileage (numbers only please): 96000
Color: Guards Red
VIN: 9309800084
Price (no $ sign please): $36000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): SouthEast
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 4 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM Cassette

Purchased last year from previous owner for 30 years in Hilton Head, SC. He sent the motor to Andial to add a twin plug distributor and big bore pistons. Service work was completed at Brumos Jacksonville, Porsche of Hilton Head and German Auto of Savannah.

-96,xxx miles as she is still being driven
-Guards red/black interior – resprayed 10 years ago – new leather seats
-Receipts/maintenance records available
-Spare key
-Original tool kit
-Original Blaupunkt manual
-930s wheel
-Stainless brake lines
-Contisports with ~3,000 miles
-Stainless headers
-Twin CD boxes
-Removed thermal reactors
-ALL ORIGINAL otherwise

The 930 has been a dream car of mine so when I found this unmolested, air-cooled model just north of me in Hilton Head, I could not believe it. From what I hear the previous owner has been through a number of Porsches, his daughter would not let him sell this until she was in college. He does promotional work for Bosch and the 24 hour race at Le Mans, along with other large sporting events, which is how he got turned onto the Andial guys some time ago. The one downside to this is he lost the paperwork documenting this motor work during one of his moves. I thought it was going to be a deal breaker but after a test drive, I was sold. If it helps at all I can provide his number along with the mechanic who did the work for him (he is still working at Andial) if necessary. I realize this does no justice so I put her on the dyno to see what kind of numbers she is producing (video and curve below).

It kills me to sell but it was poor timing. Shortly after the purchase another dream car came about locally, a 1972 BMW 2002 (featured on the Cars I See shorts). It is taking a lot of work to get her prepped for this race season. Almost all of my time and money is now spent on the 02. The 02 stays at the house while the 930 is in a unit under cover at a storage facility I own. The previous owner kept her in his climate controlled garage. Overall, she is not getting the attention she needs – the car needs to be driven – more than the 2-3 times a week I can pull off.

On to the issues: (1) The number one issue I have with this 930 is the paint. The previous owner sprayed her ten years ago and it looks great from 5-10ft but it is by no means perfect. I did not want to hinder funds for the 02 project to get it corrected. (2) There are some spots of the interior that need to be dyed. (3) The ac blows but it is not cold. (4) The fuel and oil level gauge look clear at first, but when air gets moving it does tend to fog up a little – readings are still visible. (5) Passenger mirror is somewhat loose – it can still be adjust from the switch inside – hope to address this before sale. (6) Radio and antenna work however it seems only 1-2 speakers are playing on passenger side – will try and get this addressed as well. I believe that’s it, if I think of anything else I will be sure and update the post. Overall, I just take it as it is. I do not have to ‘worry’ about her as much as I would a concours car while on the road – I enjoy the hell out of it.

To wrap up – I am a Coastal Empire PCA member and have driven the 930 to Brumos in Jacksonville to view the collection along with day trips to Charleston, SC with no issues whatsoever. On one drive to St. Simons for a Dine and Drive, I was sure it was going to overheat considering it was the middle of Summer – sure enough it did not even make it to the half way mark! It is an absolute pleasure to drive and needs NOTHING. I have never tracked the car, as badly as I wanted too - I am too tall to fit with a helmet and the factory seat in place - it has been a perfect date/weekend/PCA meet car for me. All major maintenance has been completed in the last 3,000 miles. It is ready to drive and enjoy worry free!

Located in Savannah, GA. Pre-purchase inspections are more than welcome and will be happy to assist in any way.

$36,000

Pm, email or call for questions or additional photos. Receipts and records are available for email. Thanks a lot,

Merritt Andrew McCullough – 912.272.2701 – merrittamccullough@gmail.com

Last edited by mmccull5; 02-06-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: content update
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 AM
dsrufer
Advanced

Great Car. Excellent write up on it. Good job. The price certainly seems good for the buyer. Best wishes with the sale.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:30 AM
mmccull5
Instructor

Updated information: I have never tracked the car, as badly as I wanted too - I am too tall to fit with a helmet and the factory seat in place - it has been a perfect date/weekend/PCA meet car for me.

dsrufer - Thanks for the kind words.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:55 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Gorgeous Car! GLWS
Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 PM
mmccull5
Instructor

Took some updated shots today for several inquiries. Let me know if you're interested and I'll email them your way.

Originally Posted by cavlino
Gorgeous Car! GLWS
Thank you!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:31 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmccull5
Took some updated shots today for several inquiries. Let me know if you're interested and I'll email them your way.

Thank you!
Certainly email them my way. I have a friend that has been asking me to keep an eye out for a 930 and I think he would like yours.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:56 PM
mmccull5
Instructor

i will get to the rest of the inquiries this evening, until then, here's a shot with the bosch amber lenses:
Old 02-06-2013, 10:41 PM
mmccull5
Instructor

Sale pending.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:16 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Terrific! I hope it gets finalized soon.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:41 PM
mmccull5
Instructor

SOLD.

sorry for just now updating as it was sold back in February but a fellow member inquired recently and acknowledged a bogus listing elsewhere. beware.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:36 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Congrats!

Quick Reply: 1979 930 w/ Andial Twin Plug & Big Bore