Notices

Recomendation on how to deal with insurance companyy

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 02:20 AM
Riofan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recomendation on how to deal with insurance companyy

I had an unfortunate accident on my 2007 997 C4S where I changed lanes to avoid a sudden stop and collided with a car on the lane to the right. I’ve never had to deal with an auto claim before and could use some help.
I've had full coverage from one of the major insurance companies and have been waiting 45 days to deal with the issue. Today I began the process of making arrangements to get the vehicle repaired and was surprised by the way they are choosing to handle it:

They indicated that based on the fact that passenger side seat and door air bags were deployed and the description of the damage, the car will likely get totaled and instead of having me go to a collision repair place for an estimate, they want to have the car towed to Copart in Long Beach which I found out is an auction site. Based on the images the adjuster is talking possible frame and suspension damage even though the car drives perfectly fine and to my untrained eye the repairs appear to be cosmetic. I feel that once the car is at Copart, the insurance company will pressure me to accept something less than fair that may not be in my best interest.

Car has 66K miles, I've had it 5 years, since 24K miles and it is well maintained and cared for. I just want my vehicle repaired if it all possible.

Last edited by Riofan; 08-23-2023 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 08-23-2023, 10:46 PM
Batman 357
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the car goes to copart you will never see it again.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:36 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

If it's drive-able there is nothing stopping you from taking it to a trusted body should for a thorough inspection to get more answers. I will say if you aren't on an agreed value insurance policy you will likely have to hire a pre-loss adjuster to give you the ammunition to fight your insurance company. I went through this with a built Land Cruiser where they were trying to pay me less than half of what I had paid for it less than a year prior (plus I declared all the mods and was paying additional every month for them). They ignored all my comps I sent them and once I hired that guy they accepted his number without blinking and I was all the better for it. It cost me $320 to hire him but $200 of that came out of the policy itself. Best $120 I've ever spent.

Anyway first go to a body shop and get the low down because what you find out there will inform whether you actually want to hold on to the car or not. If there is frame damage you will likely just be pivoting to making sure you get paid off for the car as much as possible. I got paid what I was owed but the buyout was so low that I kept my car and sold it damaged for significantly more. That's another avenue you may want to explore but it may not be worth the time and effort depending on what they quote you.

Quick Reply: Recomendation on how to deal with insurance companyy