Sponsored by:

White wheels: seeking recommendations on both paint and cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 12:11 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default White wheels: seeking recommendations on both paint and cleaner

I'm about to inherit a 2005 Cayenne base.
I want to repaint both the body and the wheels.
I would like to paint the wheels white but I know that brake dust will be more apparent on white wheels which means more frequent wheel cleaning.
I'm looking for recommendations on both a paint that will withstand frequent cleanings as well as a wheel cleaner that will not compromise the paint with frequent use.
Any recommendations?
TIA
Old 11-30-2022, 12:30 AM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 117 Posts

Powder coat instead of paint is what you want. Then use a ceramic coat to protect the finish. Apply a couple coats if you have leftover and time. Then you should be able to clean with just soap and water, or even a strong jet of water. Maybe in fall, remove the wheels, clean them and re-coat.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:37 PM
bill3
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fnckr
Powder coat instead of paint is what you want. Then use a ceramic coat to protect the finish. Apply a couple coats if you have leftover and time. Then you should be able to clean with just soap and water, or even a strong jet of water. Maybe in fall, remove the wheels, clean them and re-coat.
What he said. I had white wheels on my 968 which I powder coated. They looked fantastic but would collect brake dust when I looked away (didn't help that I had track pads on the car). I cleaned with P21S wheel cleaner and it cleaned great with no risk to the wheels.

If I had it to do again, I would put ceramic on top of the powder coat. Wheels on my current GT4 are ceramic coated and even track brake dust and rubber deposits come off with regular car soap and water.

Quick Reply: White wheels: seeking recommendations on both paint and cleaner