CL wheel reinstalled without 1/4 turn backoff

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 07:24 AM
rhart
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CL wheel reinstalled without 1/4 turn backoff

CL wheel reinstalled without 1/4 turn backoff
Had a slow leak fixed at a Porsche shop in NC. During the 100 mile drive home it suddenly occurred to me that the mech didn't tighten the wheel with the torque wrench
and then loosen it a 1/4 turn and re-tighten. Opinions please on how serious this is. 100 miles later do I now back it off and re-tighten? If I just leave it will there be a problem
down the road?? And if I have to now re-tighten can I do it with car on ground or do I have to raise the wheel. BTW car drives fine, no issues at 100 mph.
Old 09-04-2023, 04:37 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I would definitely remount the tire with a torque wrench using the proscribed technique. To be clear, are you saying that the shop did not use a torque wrench at all or that they just didn't torque, loosen and then retorque?
I would also NOT retighten the wheel while it is on the ground. I have seen some people loosen the wheel while it is on the ground, but I don't.
Is it dangerous to not use a torque wrench at all? I think yes. Is it dangerous to forget to loosen and then retorque? I don't know, but it is a strange procedure, and I can't imagine it was developed without a good reason.
Old 09-04-2023, 04:53 PM
rhart
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He used the same torque wrench I use (the 3 pc wrench) but did not back it off after first toruqe down. Funny tho, I jacked up the car and tried to loosen the nut but could not, even tho I used a 2' galvanized 3" pipe as a breaker bar extension. I'm wondering if he put it on too tight. So I need to find someone stronger
This guy has worked on multiple race teams so I'm surprised he didn't know the backoff routine.

Quick Reply: CL wheel reinstalled without 1/4 turn backoff