Sponsored by:

Rust ring around wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 10:03 AM
Dreamer99
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rust ring around wheels

After washing my car I noticed this rust ring around the wheels the next day. 991.2 GT3. Is this normal? I only used soap and water on the wheels. Should I try wheel cleaner to get this off?
Old 10-13-2023, 05:16 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

This little phenomenon drives me crazy with my black wheels. What happens is that after the wash, the rotors get a thin coat of rust that dries. When you drive, a nice film of rust dust gets onto the wheels as you show.

Wheel cleaner should remove it, but to avoid this PITA I do the wheels last. I try to hurry and as soon as I'm done I drive the car a block or two, hitting the brakes just enough to take the water off the rotors. One thing I have not tried is using a blower or my compressor to blast the water off the rotors after washing the wheels.

Good luck and if you come up with an easier solution, post it up!!
Old 10-13-2023, 06:29 PM
Dreamer99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Einsteiger
This little phenomenon drives me crazy with my black wheels. What happens is that after the wash, the rotors get a thin coat of rust that dries. When you drive, a nice film of rust dust gets onto the wheels as you show.

Wheel cleaner should remove it, but to avoid this PITA I do the wheels last. I try to hurry and as soon as I'm done I drive the car a block or two, hitting the brakes just enough to take the water off the rotors. One thing I have not tried is using a blower or my compressor to blast the water off the rotors after washing the wheels.

Good luck and if you come up with an easier solution, post it up!!
I tried a couple spots with McGuires wheel cleaner and it's not coming off. So weird.
Old 10-13-2023, 08:11 PM
Dreamer99
Rennlist Member

I purchased a different wheel cleaner, Auto Gyln, and it did the trick on the three other wheels but the original one posted here is not coming clean.😡
Old 10-13-2023, 09:10 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

I was going to suggest a specific product like Iron-X, since it's basically oxidized metal particles that you're dealing with. Fingers crossed

Last edited by Einsteiger; 10-13-2023 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2023, 10:16 PM
Dreamer99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Einsteiger
I was going to suggest a specific product like Iron-X, since it's basically oxidized metal particles that you're dealing with. Fingers crossed
I just picked up a bottle to try.
Thanks
Old 10-14-2023, 04:35 PM
Dreamer99
Rennlist Member

I am five brands of wheel cleaner in, including Q2M Iron Wheel Cleaner, and there is still rust on the rim. If you run your fingers over it you can feel that it’s a deposit on top of the paint. So frustrating 😡

Quick Reply: Rust ring around wheels