Sponsored by:

Tire age: When are they done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:28 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tire age: When are they done?

I have a new-to-me '00 C2. It's running on Bridgestone SO3s. Tread is good, but the concern is age: Fronts have a build date in '02, rears in '05.

I have two options, I figure. Some think the fronts are good for another year, after which I'd replace all four. Some think they're hockey pucks, and I may as well replace all four now and see if I can find a home for the still-good rears.

I know that the SO3 is out of production. Some have suggested I try to find a set of fronts while there are still some lying around, but that seems like false economy to me. The rears will eventually wear out, and I'd have to replace the lot anyway.

Experienced and expert opinons welcome!
Old 03-15-2007, 01:06 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some who should know about tire life have suggested that 6 years of tire use is enough, but the fronts built in '02 may have had several years of "shelf life" before being mounted and used. Thus, I'd go by how long the fronts have been in use rather than their build date. You might also compare the rubber hardness of the fronts and rears. If the fronts seem harder, their hardness could be contributing to understeer. If the fronts seem to still grip well, I'd think you can go another year on them.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:32 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Thanks for your thoughts. Interesting. I know that heat cycles age a tire, but I'd always heard that performance tires just age from the minute they're built, whether on the shelf or on the car. The fronts and rears definitely were not mounted at the same time, that's for sure. You can feel the difference in the rubber just by touching it. Maybe one more year...
Old 03-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tires do age from the minute they are built but the real factor in their aging is their exposure to UV. So aging while on the car may be much faster then when sitting in a dark warehouse.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as they aren't cracking or bald I would drive on them. They are going to be fine for street driving, but I certainly woulnd't take them to an AX or a DE event.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:03 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Check this out, hopefully this should clear this up:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=138
Old 03-21-2007, 01:19 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Check this out, hopefully this should clear this up:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=138
Er, kinda. It sounds like I'm right on the borderline with my front tires. Reading this, if I planned to do a DE day or any other kind of high speed driving, I'd be better off replacing them now.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2007, 03:23 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

I am in the process of finishing a 951 project car at the moment. The S0-3's were mounted new in 6/03, driven 2K miles, and then the car was stored in a closed garage for the last 3 years. They still look perfect. I have no concerns at all about using them for street and the occasional DE until they are worn out. I think if a tire was exposed to UV and was driven over 1/2 it's treadlife before storage I would be more concerned.

Quick Reply: Tire age: When are they done?