Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I just learned of Winter Tires.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tkids
how many times are you driving on snowy/icy roads? 10 out of 150 days!?
It's only the ONE TIME you need them that you’ll wish you bought them…

I can control my driving during the winter months to be certain I don't end up like one of the idiots we see on the evening news helplessly sliding down an interstate into a pile of cars.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:13 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[Your wife or you normally use 200 feet to stop in snowy weather. The test numbers are for threshold braking in snow with a given tire. And you need to understand that snow in Denver or Boulder does not last as long as snow up in the mountains. In the midwest or Canada we have humidity and cold and the roads do not clear a days or two after the sun shines on it. I live in Chicago and drove a few years ago with MPS cups through the winter. I wont be doing that again. Max summer tires for 8 months and dedicated snows for 4 months.

If a husband buys his wife Winter Tires and puts them on her car, does she know it is going to take her 18ft longer to stop on a dry road at 23 degrees. I say not![/QUOTE]
Old 12-26-2009, 02:36 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had all seasons on the gto when i got it, they didnt work in the snow. side street in WI get plowed, but they are still covered for a long time with snow and ice. highways are clear, but i still have to get to and from the highway. I gladly give up the extra footage in braking on a dry road for my better maneuverability and stopping when the roads are worse, and the people are bigger idiots.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:51 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tkids
Damon, thanks for your info. I use Tirerack as I stated above for my info and you guys are who I buy from.

That said. It is all fine and dandy when you are on Black ice/Snow/Ice, but the majority of roads in winter cold and dry for most days and do people know that their stopping distance with winter tires on cold dry surfaces is compromised?

This is my only point. I know winter tires are better for the conditions you and Bob talk about, but what about the dry cold roads. I bet most people buying winter tires don't know what they are giving up when they leave their All-seasons behind.

I have never seen complete numbers as C&D show. You always see how the tires benefit you in the extremes, not necessarily the norms. As Tirerack as my main source for educating myself about tires, I have never seen numbers that give you the total picture, as C&D just published.

If a husband buys his wife Winter Tires and puts them on her car, does she know it is going to take her 18ft longer to stop on a dry road at 23 degrees. I say not!
resurrecting this thread...am now in the same conundrum - thinking my 2nd set of tires for winter should be Michelin Pilot A/S...In the winter I will only drive the C4 when roads are dry or wet, not when covered in snow.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:44 AM
911FM
Racer

Very interesting. Kind of the same boat. Won't really take car out in the snow but need to cope with cold days, dry or wet.

FM
Old 09-22-2010, 12:56 AM
beentherebaby
Racer

Performance snow tires like the Euro Dunlop 3Ds provide excellent dry/wet weather handling and performance with amazing snow/ice traction. I've tried a lot of Euro snow tires and I've never seen a performance snow tire as capable as the Dunlop 3D's. They are manufactured in Germany and intended for high speed driving so that might explain why they are so much better than other snow tires I've tested?

YMMV
Old 09-22-2010, 02:51 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I placed an order for the Michelin A/S Plus. Will report back what I experience this winter.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:10 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts

I drive two different cars in the winter, a Saab (fwd) with winter tires (Blizzaks) and a MB E Wagon with 4-Matic and all-seasons.The Saab outperforms the MB by a substantial margin in all conditions except bone dry roads, even then the Saab is pretty good. The stopping distances of the Saab are so much shorter it isnt even close. I'm putting snow tires on the MB this winter.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Baptizo
This didn't cost
me any drachmas
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I already have winter tires on my 951 since it came with two new ones already mounted on the rear when I bought it two weeks ago (Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3's). I'm going to run a full set this winter even though it's very unlikely my 951 will see any wet stuff; that's why I have the 2500 Hemi Ram 4x4 for sloshing through the winter mess we get here in Ohio. I had Hankook winters on my beater SVT Contour last winter when I lived out in the PNW and it was the first time I ever had a set on a vehicle. They made a huge difference in the slush/ice/snow/etc. and honestly, I never noticed any lack of performance/response on dry pavement.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This test has totally missed the point.

To start the Mich Xice 2 is a pretty aggressive snow and ice tire for your typical Soccer Mom car. They don't even make performance car sizes which proves my point.

Something like a pilot Alpine or a Dunlop M3 is a performance winter tire.
These Winter Performance tires in the dry will actually out perform most all season tires in winter temps. Many all season tires become hard like hockey pucks and provide very poor traction.

What bothers me the most about this thread is that those guys who think they dont need winter tires are the guys who end up rear ending the winter tire users or are holding up traffic for hours trying to get up a small hill on the bad snow days.

If all season tires are fine for your needs then thats great....but when it snows hard, don't drive your car because you are endangering you, your family and those around you.

Otherwise buy some snow tires for your safety and everyone elses around you.

Sorry my $0.02

Last edited by Speedyellow993; 10-17-2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-17-2010, 08:14 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I get tkids point. Living in Atlanta we have <5 snow days per year on average but for two months we have mostly below 40F conditions for the morning drive to work. It doesn't really make sense to buy snow tires in the south at all IMHO. I have one set of all season tires that are now more than 5 years old but have very little mileage and could likely last many more winters if not for their age, and a second set of all seasons I've had 2 or 3 years that have never been on the ground. On those days it does snow we mostly just stay home anyway, and if I absolutely have to go somewhere I keep an old 4wd truck parked in the woods, also not unusual for the south
Old 10-24-2010, 05:58 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in a very snowy area of California - 450 inches per year. I've been here for 15 years and have tried just about everything. For true winter driving there is no comparison to dedicated winter tires. They are night and day on snow and ice. AS will always be a compromise. I have dedicated winter and summer wheel sets. It is expensive initially. but well worth it in the long run.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:49 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Snow Tires 997

I'm selling my 19" Continental Snow tires from my 997 GT3.

235/35/19 x 295/30/19 - good condition 9/32nd's tread left.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:04 PM
tkids
Pro

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I live in a very snowy area of California - 450 inches per year. I've been here for 15 years and have tried just about everything. For true winter driving there is no comparison to dedicated winter tires. They are night and day on snow and ice. AS will always be a compromise. I have dedicated winter and summer wheel sets. It is expensive initially. but well worth it in the long run.
Who are you kidding, 450" in a good year and not every year. Since I lived there for over 10 years, I can tell you if you have snow/ice on the road for more than 5 days it is a "Event". You know I80 is cleared and melted away within a day or two! And I bet you have another car for the deep stuff, right?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:15 PM
tkids
Pro

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
This test has totally missed the point.

To start the Mich Xice 2 is a pretty aggressive snow and ice tire for your typical Soccer Mom car. They don't even make performance car sizes which proves my point.

Something like a pilot Alpine or a Dunlop M3 is a performance winter tire.
These Winter Performance tires in the dry will actually out perform most all season tires in winter temps. Many all season tires become hard like hockey pucks and provide very poor traction.

What bothers me the most about this thread is that those guys who think they dont need winter tires are the guys who end up rear ending the winter tire users or are holding up traffic for hours trying to get up a small hill on the bad snow days.

If all season tires are fine for your needs then thats great....but when it snows hard, don't drive your car because you are endangering you, your family and those around you.

Otherwise buy some snow tires for your safety and everyone elses around you.

Sorry my $0.02
Do you have the numbers that prove you point on the Winter performance tires? Would love to see them!

Most of those "Guys" sliding into people probably have snow tires! When it comes down to it, it is the way most drive in the winter that cause the problems, not what they have or are doing it in!

A little drama on the endangering everyone comment. My Volvo with all-seasons keeps my family safe and the way I drive keeps the "Guys" around me safe, but I do worry about that Ahole tailgating me with an AWD truck with studded tires!

Please post more numbers, as when I first created this post, it was a surprise to me to see what you lose on cold dry pavement! Do you have any test results to share?

Quick Reply: What I just learned of Winter Tires.....