Sponsored by:

tires and wheels in storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 10:37 PM
YRUNVS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires and wheels in storage

Here is a question for the wheel and tire experts: when I switch winter and summer tires and wheels, should the stored set be deflated to 10 or 15 psi and then properly inflated when they are installed again. Or is this unnecessary? Thanks for advise.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:37 PM
wood556
5th Gear

My suggestion is that (all type of tire) is the best tire all over the world and i think these are do good work in every season and roads are also.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wood556
My suggestion is that (all type of tire) is the best tire all over the world and i think these are do good work in every season and roads are also.
Perfectly stated!

Seriously though, I'm interested in hearing an answer to the OP as well.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, I guess the tire experts are hesitant to respond, so I'll just state that I release a few psi (maybe 5 or 6) before storage. I've never heard to deflate down to 10 to 15 psi before, but I'd think it might be better to retain more pressure than that in order to maintain the tire-to-rim seal. But then, I'm no expert.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I've been told to deflate, wrap in plastic bags and leave in cool dry place, certainly not in direct light. This is all to slow deterioration of the tires by evaporation of the volatile components of the rubber. I've removed the stems on some race rain tires, and still have not lost the bead seal. But, on the other hand, I've stored street tires at normal pressure, and have seen no deterioration.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:35 PM
YRUNVS
Advanced

thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. My tire rack is in the shed so the winter tires will see the summer heat. The shed has a solar exhaust fan so the temp inside is the same as outside but it can get beastly here in the northeast! Thus the summer tires will see the winter cold. I put them into tire individual tire carriers from the tire rack and so they see no light. Again thanks for reply posts Doug

Quick Reply: tires and wheels in storage