Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling dents

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Ryan Z
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulling dents

i have a dent in my car that looks to be easily pullable with some sort of suction cup tool. i got one at autozone but the surface area was too big. any suggestions on where else to find a dent pulling tool that doesnt require drilling? the suction cup worked well for one area, but there is one spot that requires something a little smaller than 4.5in.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:21 AM
Ryan Z
Pro

anyone?
Old 08-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well hello ryan!

Fix your sig.. that 944's gone!! (not to remind you or anything)

Not sure about the suction ones, but aren't there some magnet ones too that are available? probably a little more costly though...
Old 08-07-2004, 12:55 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure how it's done. But I have heard that you can use dry ice to pop out dents.. something about letting it sit in the sun to get the metal hot then you put the dry iceon the dent and it contracts the metal and pops the dent.. HTH..
Old 08-07-2004, 01:33 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I go to a local paintless dent repair guy who pops em out for $25 or $100 a hour. He did 8 for me in an hour. I do not have the experience to do it myself so I prefer to take it to the pro.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceWard
I go to a local paintless dent repair guy who pops em out for $25 or $100 a hour. He did 8 for me in an hour. I do not have the experience to do it myself so I prefer to take it to the pro.
I agree with Bruce, but if you still want to try doing it yourself, I recently bought and tried a "Ding King" dent removal tool.

http://www.dingking.tv/?source=gg

I must say that I was pretty impressed with just how well it does work. I've used it to remove several small ding dents, and have pulled out most of a couple fairly nasty dents that, while they may not be perfect, it worked well enough to get the damage to well within glazing putty/body filler range. This tool uses a hot glue on a pulling stud. glue comes off car by just using a couple drops of their solvent (isopropanol alchohol). Leaves no scratching/marring in paint (need to wipe off solvent quickly/ possibly a little polishing compound), if there is any body filler under that pulling stud, it can, and most likely will tear some of that putty out. Now, I've only used it on a car that I have plans to repaint anyway, so I took a "well see" attitude. I was pretty impressed, for such a cheap/cheesy tool.

If you really want it done perfect the first time.......I agree with Bruce.

Good luck
Old 08-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I dunno about those things. Any of those "only sold on TV" Ronco-esque things just scream "rip off" to me. If it worked for you, good I guess. I'd love to know how it doesn't rip all your paint off or chemically discolor it though. Why not just do the dry ice thing or just yank the panel off and tap it out from the inside?
Old 08-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PB Blaster is a "As seen on TV" item... :O
Old 08-07-2004, 12:39 PM
Ryan Z
Pro

thanks guys
Old 08-07-2004, 03:52 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
I dunno about those things. Any of those "only sold on TV" Ronco-esque things just scream "rip off" to me. If it worked for you, good I guess. I'd love to know how it doesn't rip all your paint off or chemically discolor it though. Why not just do the dry ice thing or just yank the panel off and tap it out from the inside?
I felt the same way when I first ordered it. For what it is, it works very well. If your paint is not stock and not adhearing well.......sure....it just might come off.....as they warn in the instructions. Will it discolor your paint? Again, if its crappy paint under it, or you leave the glue on for more than is neccessary, yeah, I suppose it might. Did'nt on my crappy paint though. Yanking the panel off, isn't always something ya want to do, or if on a rear quarter area, can do. If ya ever get a chance, try it out on something you don't really care about, and see for yourself. Yes, it does have its limitations. I found the biggest key to using it, is that the panel must be very clean of wax, oil, and the film from using the alcohol/cleaner, so the glue can hang on long enough.
I'd much rather get behind it, to work out a dent if possible, but we all know thats not always possible or desireable. Dry ice method indeed has its limitations also.

Old 01-01-2005, 12:58 PM
tkacki
Instructor

Granite,

Did You use it on repainted car ? I have many hail dents on my car and plan to go with glue method. What do You think ? Anyone tried www.dentout.com products offered by pelicanparts ?
Old 01-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tkacki
Granite,

Did You use it on repainted car ? I have many hail dents on my car and plan to go with glue method. What do You think ? Anyone tried www.dentout.com products offered by pelicanparts ?
I've used it on my '83. This car has been repainted some time ago, and really does need to be re-painted at some point coming up. The only real paint problem I had was when using it on a door dent (rather large, and deep), after several pulls, it did pull a little chunk of paint AND bondo off the door. No biggie for me since I have every intentions of replacing this door prior to a full paint job anyway. There is no guaranty if it will pull paint off or not. Its going to really depend on how well the last paint job adhered below and if there is any putty underneath the site. Any marks,if any, left over from the gluing process, should easily polish out. I think this should work pretty well, however, not all of those dents will pull out perfectly, and not leave some trace of their being something there. I still think its worth a good shot, if your not willing to pay a professional for it. Haven't seen or used that product.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:10 PM
my87944s
Racer

Locally there are guys who pull door dents and dings for about $20 each... I had one that was the size of e quarter but it had creased down the door about 8 inches... after he quoted me $50 to do that one, it is absolutely gone...
In my opnion, its not worth the trouble to do it yourself.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:54 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

i saw the puller advertised on tv at checker.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:25 AM
tkacki
Instructor

Hi,

Over 100 dents on my car after hail. Mostly on roof and hood. Many small dents - 10 mm diamater and 0,5 mm deep (not noticeable if car is not waxed) and about 20 nasty 20mm width and over 1mm deep. Plan to start with glue method before I buy proffestional PDR kit (tools).

To many dents for proffesional repair.....Have to do it myself.

Any other method to remove such small dents ?

Regards,

Quick Reply: pulling dents